Payment on Hold for Review

I have just sold a heap of stuff on ebay and have been selling for a year or so now and all of a sudden I reach the most I have earnt ($300) and instead of it being paid out as normal payout the next day, ebay chat have advised that they are holding it for 5 working days while a review is completed? Apparently ebay clients are selected at random and their details verified as extra precaution? Feels like something is a bit off here......anyone else had the same issue?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Not sure on that, have never heard or read anything about holding payments for 5 days. I know with new accounts or accounts that havenโ€™t been active for a period of time there is a 30 day hold.

I received an email today regarding new updates to Managed Payments from January 2023 where 10% of payments may be held for 60 days. Donโ€™t think eBay will earn many brownie points for this one!

Reserves

In order to manage risk or secure your obligations under these Payments Terms of Use, we have the right to require a reserve of transaction proceeds. This means that the respective portion of your funds is reserved as unavailable for disbursement. Reserves may be in the form of rolling and/or minimum reserves.

• A rolling reserve is a reserve funded by withholding a set percentage of your transaction proceeds each day for a fixed period to be released to you later at a scheduled time on a rolling basis. For example, we may require a rolling reserve of 10% for a period of 60 days. Under this requirement, 10% of your transaction proceeds earned on day 1 will be withheld from your payouts and then be released to you on day 61. Subsequently, 10% of your transaction proceeds earned on day 2 will be withheld and then released to you on day 62, and so forth. Rolling reserves are the most common type of reserve.
  • A minimum reserve is a requirement to hold a specific amount of money in your reserve. A minimum reserve may be funded by contributing a set percentage of your daily transaction proceeds to the reserve up to the minimum requirement, or by setting-off the entire amount of the minimum requirement from your pending payouts. For example, if we require a minimum reserve of $5,000, the reserve may be funded by contributing 10% of your transaction proceeds to the reserve each day until the amount reaches $5,000. Alternately, if your pending payouts equal or exceed $5,000, the minimum reserve may be funded by setting off the reserve requirement from your pending payouts at one-time in full.

We may require a reserve if we have reason to believe there is an increased risk of non-fulfilment of your obligations under these Payments Terms of Use. We take into consideration relevant risk factors before requiring a reserve, including, as applicable (i) your eBay account history, (ii) whether the category you are listing in has a higher likelihood of chargebacks or refunds, (iii) whether your eBay account has an elevated number of customer claims or disputes, (iv) your business and/or personal credit history (business sellers may be subject to credit agency checks), (v) whether you are selling products in advance of availability (pre-selling orders), and (vi) whether you have extended delivery time frames.

Depending on your performance and the risk associated with your use of Managed Payments, a reserve may be raised, lowered, or removed at any time. The amount of each reserve (and any subsequent change) will be reasonably determined based on the seller-specific risk (including the volume of your sales). The amount and status of each reserve will be displayed under the Payments tab in the Seller Hub/My eBay and we will notify you of any reserves we require of you.

If ECA is your Payout Entity, any reserve required of you is further subject to the Seller Reserve Terms and Conditions. By accepting these Payments Terms of Use, you agree to the Seller Reserve Terms and Conditions to the extent they apply to you.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

There are a huge number of reasons  your account can be reviewed, and these can be triggered both internal and external to ebay.  I have not heard of accounts being reviewed randomly, but it can be illegal for ebay to advise you the reason your account is being reviewed.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply