Payment on hold, won't accept ID

I've had no problems with eBay before this, I think it's a fantastic platform.

Currently, I have two selling accounts and everything is fine with those, however I opened up a third one recently. Sold my first item but eBay is not accepting my ID, after numerous attempts and extremely clear photos of it. It gets rejected almost instantaneously. I've also sent my Medicare card in the same photo, still no go.

I don't drive, so just have a Proof of Age card, which has been fine in both current selling accounts, just not this one.

Impossible to contact eBay, which is one of the rare complaints that I do have. This is a hefty payout, so I need it sorted ASAP. Deadline is October 17th.

Thank you for any help!

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Payment on hold, won't accept ID

Nope, I have had no reason to sign up for anything until now. Haven't used the platform since before then, I was an occasional seller until that time. I would think that the 1st sale after a such major policy change should have come with a notice of those changes at the time of listing, but it didn't. This sale was a test to see if I'd start using it again, I can make that decision now. Even if I had signed up then that's not relevant anyway; I never objected to managed payments, just to their handling of ID's. I don't see how signing up 3 years ago would have made any difference to the fact they failed to accept a current, valid ID and don't respond to contact

I see they haven't improved in their attitude to sellers. In fact the item got 5 views in 3 days and I had decided to take it down to list elsewhere. When I logged on that day someone had bought it, after 5 views, so I have to honour it, so I'll see it through but then I'm done with EB. I see your point that we do have to like it and criticism is not allowed though.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

The changes with Managed Payments and the requirement for ID verification (which was required by Australian law, not eBay’s whimsy) were communicated to eBay members quite a few times. I - as a buyer - received the emails, starting more than three years ago.

You may have ignored or not noticed the emails and eBay messages. Perhaps you didn’t realise how significant a change this was. Nevertheless, you are not able to blame eBay for a lack of communication in that respect.

With regard to eBay making it difficult for members to verify their identity with photo ID, I’ll agree that eBay have failed. Numerous posts on these boards attest to examples of valid ID not being recognised or accepted. In this digital age, there’s not much excuse for that. eBay must remedy this. I am aware that eBay have updated the bot-driven ID verification process since it was first introduced, but there is still room for improvement.

However, in your specific case, with ID that is about to expire this month, I’m inclined to say it’s possible ID with so near an expiration date is automatically excluded, for reasons I really shouldn’t need to explain.

Finding it hard to contact eBay staff who are specifically tasked with helping ID verification cases where the bot process doesn’t go through is another eBay issue. I don’t defend eBay on this; in my view it’s an essential that eBay must address.

However, re trying to contact eBay today, are you not aware that much of Australia has a public holiday today? It’s not in business hours, obviously… Try contacting eBay tomorrow.

Re your assertion that verifying your ID three years ago would have made no difference, that really is not correct. Earlier verification attempt would have meant ID was not close to expiry date, and would have meant ID was verified BEFORE you tried to sell again.

Of course you can give valid and measured criticism. Posters on these boards have such criticisms of their own. However, assertions will be scrutinised because false assertions help no one. Your blaming eBay for not accepting nearly expired ID doesn’t stand up to scrutiny, does it? 

I’d always recommend being prepared well in advance for something like selling on eBay, just in case of hold-ups and hitches.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

That's enough, I don't need or want this conversation, bye

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

@bernie_6944 wrote:

That's enough, I don't need or want this conversation, bye

Ungrateful much ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

OK then one last time, since you seem to feel there's actually an exchange here. *Grateful*? Wow. You think I should be *grateful*, for your stepping in to reply to a post that never involved you, with that bunch of sanctimonious self-righteous inflated garbage I never asked for and think I indicated I wasn't interested in? Did it work, did it set me straight like you saw I so obviously needed? OK then, Conceited much? What advice do you think I didn't know I was actually looking for all along? You saw some inference that I ASKED for it? I wrote to support some other guy's post, and you took it to mean I really needed someone to interject and straighten out what's what and get my head right for me? Let's see now, hmm, what reply does that merit... Now, you said something about introspection or self-examination or whatever, do you see the irony and why you're getting this particular reaction then? Something to do with your own motives in posting that stuff? I've been online more than long enough to understand what's really behind most posts.

This time, really, goodbye. And yes I've already deleted all my other EBay business then when I get this one over and done with that's really it.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

@bernie_6944 wrote:

This time, really, goodbye. And yes I've already deleted all my other EBay business then when I get this one over and done with that's really it.

Obviously both eBay itself and the boards will sorely miss your presence.

Good luck for the future.............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

@bernie_6944 wrote:

OK then one last time, since you seem to feel there's actually an exchange here. *Grateful*? Wow. You think I should be *grateful*, for your stepping in to reply to a post that never involved you, with that bunch of sanctimonious self-righteous inflated garbage I never asked for and think I indicated I wasn't interested in? Did it work, did it set me straight like you saw I so obviously needed? OK then, Conceited much? What advice do you think I didn't know I was actually looking for all along? You saw some inference that I ASKED for it? I wrote to support some other guy's post, and you took it to mean I really needed someone to interject and straighten out what's what and get my head right for me? Let's see now, hmm, what reply does that merit... Now, you said something about introspection or self-examination or whatever, do you see the irony and why you're getting this particular reaction then? Something to do with your own motives in posting that stuff? I've been online more than long enough to understand what's really behind most posts.

Just so you know, you can't just "delete" an ebay "business". It takes 6 months to close an account from the last activity. 

Please don't leave. Ebay won't survive without you.

Spoiler
I will say though, your listing was very good. It's a shame a lot of other sellers can't do the same. It would make buying so much easier!
Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

So what are you supposed to actually do? 

If you'd just listed it as cash on pick up, everything would be fine.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

*Posts on member to member forum

*Has a tanty when members reply

Makes sense 

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

You asked a question.

You got a factual answer. Many, in fact.

You do not like the answer/s and consider denigrating the providers to be an acceptable response. Guess what? Like all things you have said, you are wrong.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply