Paypal Chargeback

How can a Buyer claim Chargeback for unauthorized transaction.

Buyer has left feedback Stating THANK U so they received item? (special list)

Australia Post Tracking number states item delivered.

This is Paypals response via email.

Case Closed

• We weren't able to verify the shipment information you provided. 
  • in addition, a chargeback fee of has been debited from your PayPal account

I then phoned Paypal, there responds was Sorry no tracking information for number provided, I then gave the operator  tracking number direct from Australian Post website which clearly states item delivered on 15th May she says yes that's number we have on file but would not recheck tracking info. abruptly replies Case Closed, then asks Can I help you with anything else Today. what a load of **bleep**

I then Phone buyer and ask about chargeback there response was Sorry Husband did not like me using his card?????

This was for a transaction less than $40.00

What next  do we just give away our items instead of selling them as buyers will get them for free anyway with eBay & Paypals policies

Will try and ring again Tomorrow.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Paypal Chargeback

Take several deep breaths then ring Paypal again. Yu may get a better response from another agent but if you don't ask to speak to a supervisor. If still no go ask to speak to somebody higher up.  If you still don't get anywhere tell them calmly that unless all funds are returned to your Paypal account within 48 hours you will have no option but to make a complaint to the financial services ombudsman as you clearly qualify for seller protection.

If they don't put the money back then go ahead and make the complaint.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

@tassaddlery wrote:

I then Phone buyer and ask about chargeback there response was Sorry Husband did not like me using his card?????

You could handle this in a couple of deifferent ways, first depending on what other tracking information you have (namely, whether you can show adressee info with a postage label, or the tracking number alone), and also depending on who you'd rather make accountable for this.

Based on the part I've quoted above, I would be tempted to hold the buyer accountable, because to me, that's who is - they purchased an item, received it, but ultimately didn't pay for it.

I'd personally prefer to make them pay for it. And the chargeback fee. 

The quicker way would be to get PayPal to pay for it, though, they are accountable for upholding their T&Cs, and if your tracking info shows all the right details, you should have been eligible for seller protection (also assuming the buyer logged into a PayPal account to pay for the item).

But, you could also try sending the buyer a letter of demand for the item back (in original condition) or for payment in full (including the fee) and if neither are forthcoming within a certain amount of time, report them for online fraud - which should be acted upon if the buyer doesn't return the goods or payment.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

This certainly surprises me that you would lose a chargeback case when you appear to have seller protection.

There are three things required for 100% seller protection:

1.) You use the PayPal shipping address provided at the time of checkout

2.) You use a shipping method with tracking that can be linked to at least the buyer's postcode, full address is better

3.) You have a lodgement receipt from the carrier to prove that you actually sent the tiem. Having tracking alone does not prove lodgement.

If you have all the above in place then PayPal have clearly made a decision against you that is incorrect.

In this case a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) should see their decision reversed within a couple of days and any associated fees reimbursed also. Point out the $15 fee in the FOS complaint also.

I would try PayPal on the phone one more time and even ask to speak with a supervisor.

But if they still refuse to play ball then advise them you will be going the FOS route.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

allfixelectrical
Community Member

Just update on chargeback.

Lodged Complaint with Financial Ombudsman Service last Monday 29th June.     www.fos.org.au

Today recieved refund in full from Paypal including the $15.00 chargeback fee.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

That's a great outcome. Well done for your persistence. I was pretty sure you would win this one as you appeared to have all the prerequisites covered. I just don't understand why PayPal would not uphold it in the first place.
Gives the rest of us confidence tho in going down the FOS route when we believe we are in the right.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Great news!!

PayPal and Ebay have a lot to answer for - IMO they are knowingly breaking the law and hoping that most sellers don't know what to do about it.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply