Paypal Fee increase 2.6% for small sellers

This morning I got this in my email...

I guess they are preparing for the seperation and need to increase their profit..

Next month we’ll be making some changes that we want to bring to your attention.

We’re introducing a new tier of lower pricing for sellers with a monthly sales volume between $2,500 and $5,000. The rate for this tier will be 2.2% + fixed fee.

For sellers with a monthly sales volume of less than $2,500, the standard rate will be changed to 2.6% + fixed fee. We’ve also changed the standard rate for all other types of commercial transactions.

For sellers using Website Payments Pro and whose monthly sales volume is over $150,000, we have amended the rate for cross-border transactions to 2.5% + fixed fee.

We’ve clarified when our Seller Protection Policy does not apply.

We’ve made some changes to our Privacy Policy.

The changes will automatically take effect on 12 February 2015

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Pretty typical. Yet another kick in the guts for small sellers, the ones who can least afford an increase in fees. Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

I am starting to think going back to trash & treasure - sunday markets and garage sales are going to become popular again.

These fees are getting rediculous.

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

well i'm thinking now why does anyone sell on ebay, you cant make even a small profit from small scale sales. you think you have done ok but when the ebay/paypal theives are finished your actually worse off. cant see myself selling on ebay again.

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

I recommend if you have a bit of volume taking a negotation stance with paypal. I pay 1.6% I rang them up and combined my eBay and website volumes and also put them under pressure for non eBay payments via my site. As a result I am now on 30c plus 1.6% with no contract. It's worth asking the worst that can happen is a NO!

I've always found paypal great to deal with as opposed to eBay.

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Ah, the greed continues as does the attempt to get rid of small sellers! Might start looking at Pay(buddy). Money paid straight to your bank account, no 3-5 days waiting for funds!
Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

Hmm, while I certainly wouldn't volunteer to pay eBay or PayPal more money for the same service, I do have to say that this is the first ever increase in fees I've seen PayPal make, and while I know that it's technically a 16% increase on the current rate, I honestly don't see an additional 0.2% after all these years (20c per $100 processed) as overly unfair or greedy. 

eBay is a different matter, many of their fees have steadily increased by several hundred percent in the last couple of years alone, but I actually find this (PayPal's increase, that is) acceptable. 

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

The fee increase to me comes down to value for money like anything. Do I think I get value for money out of eBay? Certainly not. Do I think I get value for money from paypal? Yes I do.

However digital have paypals costs increased by 16% in real terms in recent years???

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

@character_parties_aus wrote:

However digital have paypals costs increased by 16% in real terms in recent years???

I was just referring to the increase from 2.4% to 2.6%.

0.2% is 16% of 2.4%, so the actual increase in the rate is 16%. Just like if someone charges a 10% commission on something, and increases that to 15%. The person paying the commission is charged 5% more, but it's an actual 50% increase in fees.

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply