Paypal dispute for pickup item - new rules?

Sold a large wall unit for pickup only $850  - buyer sent courier to pickup.

He received and then opened a dispute for not as described due to apparent scratches etc  (50 year old unit with scratches, dents etc mentioned in listing).

He demands a $350 refund or we pay the courier costs both ways for him to return the unit.

I was going to escalate it to a Paypal dispute but was wary of how the new Paypal pickup laws work.

I have no faith in Paypal seeing common sense at all.

Anyone had a recent case?

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Paypal dispute for pickup item - new rules?

Sorry if I missed a post and this has been answered, but did you ever get photos from them showing the damage? While reading this all I can think is there is a very high chance it was damaged during transit and it is the courier service he really has the problem with.

Message 31 of 46
Latest reply

@collectibles_in_canberra wrote:

I just tried to reply to it and came up saying 'Feedback error can't reply to feedback you don't have'.

I've never seen that one before.

Yeah, it's a glitch that comes up sometimes.

Don't reply to it until you've at least tried to get it removed.

Message 32 of 46
Latest reply

Great result CIC. Smiley Very Happy Didn't think he would return it.

As said, don't reply to it until you contact eBay for it's removal.

When you want to reply, log into the USA site, ebay.com and reply from there.

It's a recurring glitch on the Aus site.

You might also want to add this member to your members you follow. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 33 of 46
Latest reply

Correct me if i'm wrong But if he opens a dispute via ebay dosent the seller wears the return shipping costs or keeps the item .

Message 34 of 46
Latest reply

He opened it with paypal because pick ups are not covered by EMBG

Message 35 of 46
Latest reply

@collectibles_in_canberra wrote:

Paypal has granted his request for a refund.

He must return the item and provide tracking details to them.

The whole system is a bit of a joke.

I'm surprised to hear that, but it got me thinking a little, and wondered since you'd mentioned earlier you'd accept a return for refund of the item price, if you'd written anything in the dispute to indicate as much. 

It may not have anything to do with their decision even if you did write it there, since I know PP decisions for SNAD can be 50/50 at the best of times, but I think they also have a thing for following the cues in the dispute communication, even if you don't officially click the "accept return" (or equivalent) option. 

eBay have similar (but ever so slightly more explicit) wording in their MBG policies that indicate they feel a seller is obliged to follow through on what they promise, so will effectively enforce that if they find themselves in a position to do so. (Obviously if you simply disputed the buyer's claims of damage, none of this applies).

It's also interesting to note PayPal requires proof of return postage on pick-up items - that would render the buyer protection on many PU items virtually useless. 

Message 36 of 46
Latest reply

I had a feeling he'd decide against returning when he found out he had to pay the delivery both ways. You should have waited to see if the feedback could get removed before replying. I had one removed the other day. Buyer opened an INR. Tracking showed as delivered. I told her she wouldn't win the dispute, so she closed it and negged me. I emailed eBay and surprisingly they removed it. I was really expecting them to say no. Always pays to ask, especially when you've been dealing with a numpty buyer.

Message 37 of 46
Latest reply

I did say to try to get the fb removed first    

Tippy,  if they remove the neg, won't the whole thing disappear?

Message 38 of 46
Latest reply

Dunno. I have seen the red dot and the reply remain with the message that eBay had removed the feedback. Not sure of the circumstances though. Mine was gone without a trace and I've been expecting to get a disgruntled message from the buyer. As tempted as I was to leave a reply I restrained myself.

I'm so pleased it worked out for the OP. That neg shouldn't hurt his sales, even with the other 2 he already had. The neg on one of my accounts passed its 12 months last month and for the whole year it was there it didn't affect sales. The OP sells way more than I do. 99.9% still looks OK to most buyers.

Message 39 of 46
Latest reply

I've also seen the red dot remain and the message that ebay had removed the comments.

But I think that was because the comments were offensive.

I think if the OP just gives it a try, I think they will remove the neg and the

follow-up.       No fb left at all.

Message 40 of 46
Latest reply