Phantom buyers

Forgive me if this is not a new topic... Last time I was involved with eBay, ten or twelve years ago, most sellers were private sellers and all the buyers were in good faith. Recently returning to eBay, I find that 99.9% of the sellers are traders and 50% of the buyers are yoyos or dipsticks, anything but good faith. What has gone wrong? I suppose eBay removed the option to leave negative feedback on non-payers because there are so many of them: it would look bad for eBay. But I don't understand what goes on here. Why are there so many non-payers with zero feedback? Is there some sort of scam going here? What's the rationale?
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Phantom buyers

99.9%?

50%?

Seems you will be better suited to somewhere, anywhere, else.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

87% of all statistics are made up     door.gif

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Or even 100% in some cases

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

If you're going to sell on eBay after all that time, I would suggest reading up on the policies as most things as you knew it have changed. You could also ask on here as you're likely to get more sense than trying to navigate through the help files.

Negative feedback for buyers was removed because it's pretty much pointless. It doesn't stop them from buying. They could have 200 negs in the last month out of 205 transactions and they'd still be free to buy. Best thing to do when you have a non payer is open and close an unpaid item dispute. You can find that by clicking on the dropdown to the right of the unpaid transaction and select "resolve a problem". If they don't pay after 4 days, go back in and close the case to get your fees back. It has to be exactly 4 days before you can close it and not a second before. The buyer then gets a strike against their account.

Set up buyer requirement blocks to stop buyers buying or bidding that have 2 or more strikes in the last 12 months. It will weed out the serial pests. You can also set to block buyers with 5 or less feedback from buying if they haven't been verified. Add non payers to your blocked buyer list. When you set the buyer requirement blocks, be sure to tick the box down the bottom to stop blocked buyers from contacting you.  http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

If you haven't sold for awhile, PayPal will hold your funds for 21 days before you can access them. If you send with tracking and the tracking shows as delivered, you can call PayPal and they should release the funds for that transaction while on the phone. Once you've been selling consistently for 3 months or get (I think) 25 feedback, the funds will no longer be held (Something is telling that 25 isn't correct, but I can't be bothered going in and finding it).

The eBay money back guarantee is your enemy. When you do your listings, describe and photograph absolutely every square inch of whatever you're selling. If there's a tiny scratch and it's not mentioned, they'll hit you with not as described. There's then a very high chance that the buyer will get a refund and keep the item. The MBG has brought all the scammers out of hiding. EBay sides with buyers 99.99999% of the time, so mention everything and more. If you've said there is a tiny scratch on the corner and then a buyer tries to hit you with a not as described for a scratch in the corner, you should win the dispute as it was mentioned in your listing.

If you are selling electronics, take note of all serial numbers. Another scam that buyers pull is, they'll buy a part to replace something in say a computer, then you'll get a message saying it doesn't work. You accept a refund and they send back the faulty part they replaced. Unless you've recorded serial numbers, you have no proof they sent a different one back. They will get a refund and you're stuck with their dead part.

Don't be a stranger. There are a multitude of very experienced buyers and sellers on here who are always willing to help. Between all those members, you can pretty much get anything answered.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Well, thanks for that Jim, every reasoned reply is valued....

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you tippytoes, for your lengthy and well-reasoned response.  I understand every point you make.  How refreshing to encounter a rational human being.  But I am nonetheless disillusioned.  This shouldn't have to be rocket science, or a Hobbesian jungle.  It didn't used to be this way.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Incredibly constructive commentary, guys.  Have another drink!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

It's better that they don't pay, than pay make you send the item out and then open a case up against you and want a full refund and you to pay the return postage sending back a used, damaged or not even the same item and ebay automatically a full refund (things have changed alright).

At least if the don't pay you can claim your fees back and relist without little out of pocket expenses. The other way around is soul destroying.

ps there is a setting in the site preferences where you can automatically open a non payment dispute, coz after 33 days you can't open a non payment claim and ebay keeps the fees.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

jbmbkb
Community Member

pretty sure ebay removed the right for sellers to leave negs was because sellers were holding buyers to ransom ...u leave me neg i leave you neg in retaliation. 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply