Please HELP!! out of stock item sold & marked posted!

I sold a necklace that I no longer have in stock. Somehow I must have relisted it. THEN TO MAKE MATTERS worse,I marked it posted before I packed order. I had 3 orders to send from weekend (who hoo, had a couple of sales!). Then as I was packing them off & checking addresses I thought "Yup! sending those 3 today" so marked them posted. Went to pack them realized 1 was out of stock. Sooo it's marked sent but I dont have it. So of course I've contacted customer & offered another item (or their choice) to a higher value instead, plus a free gift. Didnt hear back. So now Ive offered the,their money back & I'll still send a gift foir their trouble!! Havent heard back yet . SOOOO.... what can I do to make sure I dont get Negative Feedback. Can I give them their money back & then they cant leave me feedback? Or because I stupidly ticked SENT before double checking I had item - they can still do it.OR can I go into Paypal & cancel order (after I've marked sent?) Cant see anywhere to cancel a sent item on Ebay! At this point just trying to avoid Neg Feedback! As cant afford that with these already slooowww sales?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Please HELP!! out of stock item sold & marked posted!

I manage 1800 items over 3 sites. I know where they're listed and where they're stored and when they sell.

I guess I pay attention to detail.

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

The ONLY time a buyer is blocked from giving you feedback is if you close an unpaid item dispute. Anything else, they are free to leave what they like, including if you cancel. Stop stressing over a red dot on a screen or it will do your head in. One red dot isn't going to turn buyers away. What turns them away is how you reply to bad feedback.

If you admit fault and apologise, then buyers can see that yes, there was an issue but the seller handled it professionally. That reassures them that if they have a problem, you're not going to abuse them and call them names like some sellers do. A simple reply along the lines of "It's completely my fault. My sincerest apologies. Full refund given".

Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

For goodness sake stop looking for ways to wriggle out of taking full responsibility for your stuff up.

As the buyer has already paid there is nothing you can do to stop her leaving a negative if she is so inclined.

The only way to stop a buyer leaving feedback is if you open and close an NPB case and the buyer gets a strike.

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

@stylesilver wrote:

MMMM... a bit lateral thinking  (plus a bit of; you say tomartoes, I say tomate toes) Thats a good one, particually if the persons too busy to correct it AND then they CANTgive you any feedback at all?? Is that right? Cos they "requested" the cancelletion- which they did, in a way, because you gave them other replacement choices. Ties it all up neatly if it works?? (I did totally apologise- right from the start!! & I was VERY sorry) but I find it sooo time consuming checking all stock levels & doing spot checks to see that something hasnt accidently been relisted.

It's a lot less time-consuming to do the job properly in the first place than to try and fix it afterwards, not to mention a lot less stressful.  How hard is it to check whether it's the last one of an item when it sells and put a note on the listing in your Sold list?  You've been complaining about lack of sales so surely it can't be that time-consuming to keep track of them.

And WHY would you mark something as posted before you've even got it out to pack it?  If a seller marked something as posted and then told me they didn't even have it in stock I'd be inclined to think there's something shonky about them, which would make me a lot less likely to accept an apology than if they hadn't marked it as posted.

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

good post.gif

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

Sure - wouldve been great if I hadnt marked it posted with the others I was posting within that hour (was trying to save time) & I, of course, trusted my records of stock levels. But they (or I) were wrong. Most of my time is taken up with hand making our freshwater pearl jewellery (designing, sourcing components, making pieces- as every piece with a pearl in it, is hand made) as well as supplying some retailers. That is a time consuming part of my work week- & obviously I made a mistake.Yes - I have been puzzling & wondering on these boards, (with others) about the drop off in Ebay traffic at this time of year! Anyway This episode has been a lesson in MORE ways than one! 

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

In my earlier days of selling, I was hopeless. I had boxes of unlisted stuff and boxes of listed stuff and one time an item did get relisted somehow, which had already sold, and it sold again. Thankfully the buyer understood, but still gave me a well deserved neutral. After that, I recorded everything in excel (or the openoffice.org equivalent).

When I get new stock now I record it in my document, the name, the size, the weight, the date of purchase and how much I paid for it. I also assign it a code, e.g for a tea cup it might get TC123. Then when I list something, I put the date I listed it, then the date it sold, which account I sold it on, how much it sold for, the profit and who bought it. I still keep unlisted items separate from listed items, but when I'm relisting unsold items, I can check them off on my document if I'm not 100% sure it's definitely in the not yet sold box.

I generally use My Selling, rather than Selling Manager, so my unsold section is set to only show items that haven't been relisted. I noticed in SM that it shows both sold and unsold (maybe I'm missing something!), so it would be easy to relist an already sold one.

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

I would love to be able to do that but I'm not that good on the computer side of things- I'd probably get them mixed up. When you've got 12 different Heart necklaces, or Arrow necklaces & 30 different Pearl necklaces etc the only way I can identify the different ones is by photos. I might look at the My Selling/ versus Selling Manager sections to see if I can find a good way there from keeping them separate there! Thanks
Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

@stylesilver wrote:
I would love to be able to do that but I'm not that good on the computer side of things- I'd probably get them mixed up. When you've got 12 different Heart necklaces, or Arrow necklaces & 30 different Pearl necklaces etc the only way I can identify the different ones is by photos. I might look at the My Selling/ versus Selling Manager sections to see if I can find a good way there from keeping them separate there! Thanks

I've never used anything except My Selling so I've only ever seen the unsold stuff that needs to be relisted in Unsold.  Anything I've sold is in a separate section - obviously called Sold.

Do you store similar items together?  It would help if you give every different item a number and put it in your listing so you know exactly which one it was.  For example, if you have 12 different heart necklaces you could call them H1, H2, H3, up to H12.  If you make a new one call it H13.  Label your photos when you do them and label the corresponding item.  

I don't know how you store them but say you put them in open envelopes in a shallow box, you could write the number on the envelope and it wouldn't matter if you can't see what's inside.  If the envelope is open at the top you could easily glance in if you need to.  

When H7 sells, if you have this code number in the listing all you need to do is go to your box and pick out the envelope with H7 on it, then you double check it against the picture in the listing.  If there are more envelopes with the same number on them then you'll know you need to relist it and you can either put a note against it in your sold list, or you can relist it on the spot (schedule it if you have no spare free listings).

For necklaces that have a pearl and are heart shaped, you could use a combination of letters and number, eg. HP1, always keeping to the same format.  One example of this would be to always have the shape first and the components second, as I've done here.  I don't know how feasible this is but you may be able to get some ideas of your own from it.  If your items are suitable for storing in small envelopes kept upright in a shallow box (eg. shoe box), you could label the boxes with what's in them and it'd be easier to find them when they sell, plus you could see at a glance how much you've got of each type of stock.

I have a number on each of my items.  The next item I buy gets the next number, regardless of what it is, but I stack them on the shelves according to theme.  When they sell I only have to go through the shelves that have that theme stored on it.  My items are bulkier than yours but it works on the same principle as keeping hearts together, arrows together, etc.

Some records are just as quick to do by hand as on the computer so don't worry too much about that.  The main thing I do on the computer is sort my pictures into folders.  When I number them I also put a couple of words as a description so that I can easily search and find them by keywords (in your case pearl, arrow, etc).

Something else I do is to shift pictures of sold items into a subfolder on my computer.  If you plan on making more the same you could either leave the pictures where they are or shift them back to the main folder AFTER you replenish your stock.

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

If you can handle some constructive criticism, get rid of that ghastly bold pink and blue writing in your listings. Not only is it extremely hard to read (you do want people to read it, don't you?) but it gives the wrong impression. If you want people with refined taste to buy your jewellery, don't write in gaudy colours, and don't use large bold font that forces people to move back from the screen half a metre to read it.
Message 30 of 30
Latest reply