Please help me understand satchels

Hello everyone, Few weeks ago I bought a pair of boots off eBay. It arrived in the "Large" Satchel. I recently just sold the boots again and I tried using the Large satchel in Auspost but it wouldn't fit. I measured the measurements of the "Large" satchel and it corresponds to the Extra Large satchel in auspost website. Few days later, I ordered 10 pack of Large satchels from Auspost eBay store, and they delivered the Medium Satchels instead. I enquired with Auspost and their eBay representative assured me that I received the correct order. He sent me this as well :

Here is a list of each size;
500g - Falls under the Small category.
1kg - Falls under the Medium category.
3kg - Falls under the Large category.
5kg - Falls under the Extra Large category.

I am so confused over this lol.. They sent me a Medium saying its the Large. I thought I needed a large but it turns out I needed an Extra Large.... Hope someone clarifies this for me please

This is the one I bought, The picture below is the one I received

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australia-Post-Flat-Rate-Satchel-Large-10-bag-pk-excludes-postage/163327...

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Please help me understand satchels

prepaid satchels 2020.jpg

I've just seen you purchased Flat Rate satchels, not Prepaid ones. However, dimensions are the same as the Prepaid ones. Neither is determined by weight any more. They used to be. So for example, you could only send items weighing up to 500g in a Small satchel. Now you can send items weighing up to 5kg - as long as they physically fit. Same with Medium (used to be only able to send up to 1kg, now up to 5kg), Large (up to 3 kg, now 5kg) and so on. No idea what that list the ebay AP store sent you, as it no longer applies.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

The  3kg satchell you recieved.  is now called the large, all satchels are now permitted to weigh up to  5kg.

The old satchels  were   small  max 500g.   medium  max  3kg   and  large  max  5kg

Then they introduced  a  1kg  satchel 

The  AP system  then  changed  to  if it fits it posts.  meaning  as long as the item fits in the satchel you choose and remains under 5kg

then you pay according to the satchel size, not weight..

New   sizing    =   small         medium        large          exrea large

Old    style       =    500g          1kg               3kg               5kg

Note  they are still using up all the old stock, but the new system applies

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I guess my confusion stemmed from this initial "Large" Satchel that i received the boots in. The measurements are 51cm in length which corresponds to the Extra Large ones. So essentially they were using old stock? 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@deli-3846 wrote:

I guess my confusion stemmed from this initial "Large" Satchel that i received the boots in. The measurements are 51cm in length which corresponds to the Extra Large ones. So essentially they were using old stock? 

Just bought 500 satchels, direct from  AP online, recieved all old style, so they are going to be around for some time yet.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply