Post Office Pick Up

Hi all,

Just wondered what all your experiences have been with buyers timescales in picking carded items up from the LPO? I seold an item around the 6th March, and it was delivered to the LPO after attempted delivery on the 10th. I know this is not a long time, but still its a high price item, and if it was me, I would have picked it up by now? I have had a similar sale prior, and that did get picked up about 6-7 days later.

I guess my question is, how long do Aus Post hold items for, and what action would you take if this item is not picked up say In another week? I did think of sending a message and email to the buyer, but all messages that I send out after a sale were ignored anyway, and also has many sellers are now doing, I am wary of alerting them to the fact that tracking is showing up as awaiting, if in fact they have received the item and I get stung for a INR?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Post Office Pick Up

If there is a phone number in your buyer's sales record try calling that.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

@expanded_perceptions wrote:

I guess my question is, how long do Aus Post hold items for, and what action would you take if this item is not picked up say In another week? 

The post office will usually hold a package for 10 days, and should send at least one reminder after about 1 week. 

You could also call the post office that is holding the item, to double-check that it is still awaiting collection, before trying to contact the buyer again.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

If there is a phone number in your buyer's sales record try calling that.

Yes, no phone number, in fact I don't think I have seen a phone number in any of my buyers details for any sales? I know I could request from eBay?

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Hi all,

Just wondered what all your experiences have been with buyers timescales in picking carded items up from the LPO? I seold an item around the 6th March, and it was delivered to the LPO after attempted delivery on the 10th. I know this is not a long time, but still its a high price item, and if it was me, I would have picked it up by now? I have had a similar sale prior, and that did get picked up about 6-7 days later.

I guess my question is, how long do Aus Post hold items for, and what action would you take if this item is not picked up say In another week? I did think of sending a message and email to the buyer, but all messages that I send out after a sale were ignored anyway, and also has many sellers are now doing, I am wary of alerting them to the fact that tracking is showing up as awaiting, if in fact they have received the item and I get stung for a INR?

I have to get parcels transferred to another post office to collect them....and with Aust Post it can take a week...or more... from when I get the card, then apply for parcel transfer etc, until when I can finally pick it up.  A few times it took three weeks and the parcels took the scenic route instead of a straight 5km van trip.  This is why I try to avoid (like the plague) sellers who only post via registered mail.
Unfortunately I've got one at the moment that the seller is probably wondering why I haven't collected it.  I'm still waiting for it to be transferred.  (If only I'd known it was going to be sent registered....grrrrrr).
It can also be a hassle if you are at work during post office opening hours.  Perhaps your buyer hasn't found the time yet to collect it.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I guess my question is, how long do Aus Post hold items for, and what action would you take if this item is not picked up say In another week? 

The post office will usually hold a package for 10 days, and should send at least one reminder after about 1 week. 

You could also call the post office that is holding the item, to double-check that it is still awaiting collection, before trying to contact the buyer again.

Thanks for this information! This particular LPO seems to only have the national number contact, I guess at the worst I live a 20 minute drive from there and could drive there.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Hi all,

I have to get parcels transferred to another post office to collect them....and with Aust Post it can take a week...or more... from when I get the card, then apply for parcel transfer etc, until when I can finally pick it up.  A few times it took three weeks and the parcels took the scenic route instead of a straight 5km van trip.  This is why I try to avoid (like the plague) sellers who only post via registered mail.
Unfortunately I've got one at the moment that the seller is probably wondering why I haven't collected it.  I'm still waiting for it to be transferred.  (If only I'd known it was going to be sent registered....grrrrrr).
It can also be a hassle if you are at work during post office opening hours.  Perhaps your buyer hasn't found the time yet to collect it.

Yes, it is of course possible that they are busy during office hours, even overseas for a while? Having looked at the LPO details though, they do offer a parcel pick up 7-9am so that makes it even more questionable. Perhaps you are right, and it is being transferred?

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

....and of course post offices don't always scan the parcels when picked up so your buyer may already have it...this happens to me a LOT.

You can always call Aus Post customer service 137678 (sad that I have that number in my head) and tell them to contact the post office in question and find out if it's been picked up. 

Good luck

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

My small country PO will only hold for 7 days.

I sent a parcel to a semi-country area within Victoria & the tracking showed it got sent back the same day as it arrived there.  I sent it back with a large note on envelope that it had to be held until picked-up.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

I suppose in the long run does it matter if the buyer takes a week to pick up the item,  you have the tracking information which shows that it was awaiting pickup,  so they have no recourse to you for slow delivery. 

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply