Postage Scales

cocokids
Community Member

I am a newbie to ebay and I am finding the amount of information totally overwhelming. I thought I would come online and buy some scales to weigh my items and have hit another brick wall as most of them have 2-5g increments. I have items that are very light (jewellery) and items up to 5-10kg.

Can anyone recommend a good pair of scales that can weigh from 0+ without increments so I know the EXACT weight.

Hope that made sense and thanks in advance for any information.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Postage Scales

I would suggest buying separate scales for the light items. You would have a hard time finding scales that do both heavy items and very accurate lightweight items unless you pay big $$$

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Postage Scales

Jewellery scales weigh fractions of grams. Digital scales weigh from 1g

To work out postage, i find the digital scales are fine as anything heavier than 500g and thicker than 2cm goes as a parcel.

Digital scales can easily work out letter weights as well.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Postage Scales

go-tazz
Community Member

I use a set of digital scales that I bought at a hardware store.

It goes up to 5 kg in 1 gram increments.

To weigh items heavier then 5 kg I put a 4.8kg item on the scales and tare it,(which puts the weight back to zero).

When you take the weight of it gives you a negative 4.8 kg reading.

I then put the item I need to weigh on it and add the 4.8 kg to the weight shown,(that gives me the total weight),good.gif

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Postage Scales

here first ones I looked at 1 gm increments up to 10 kg. so you obviosuly haven't looked that well

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SALE-2-KITCHEN-SCALES-DIGITAL-SCALE-ELECTRONIC-FOOD-POSTAL-10KG-NEW-FREE-...

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Postage Scales

I've got a small set of scales that weigh in small increments. They go up in 0.1g increments. If you want to weigh in carats, it only weighs in 0.5ct increments. Most of the times they work OK for me for what I list. If I need to weigh anything over 1kg I use the kitchen digital scales.

I think mine were only a few bucks on eBay and seem to do an OK job as far as I know. They're about the size of an iphone (I don't have an iphone, but it's smaller than my Samsung S4). Not had any complaints from buyers saying the weights were wrong.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Postage Scales

saarzi
Community Member

If you get one set that go right up to 5kg or whatever, they will not be accurate enough for the smaller items. All scales have a margin of error. The wider the weight range and the more the scalkes are knocked about, the bigger the margin.

As some others said, you need two sets of scales.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Postage Scales

For a 0-5Kg measurement, I use the $13 scale from Kmart. Its brilliant as it gives me exact weight to 1g. I have taken exact 0.500 Kg parcels to the post office and it shows up exactly the same on their scales.Touch wood, its going strong after 6 months.

Moreover, it has a raised platform which I needed for longer packages, which you probably don't need if you are weighing small packages.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Postage Scales

My flat top kitchen scales weigh same as Aust Post scales as well (weight limit up to 5kg). Had them for a few years and they only recently needed new batteries.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Postage Scales

I was very surprised to see my $9.99 K-Mart digital kitchen scales weighed exactly the same as Aust Post scales. I've had them for awhile now too, maybe 5 or 6 years? They get used a LOT in the kitchen, so I'm surprised they still weigh in the same as AP's scales. Makes it easier when you know something is getting close to the 500g mark.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply