Problems stating accurate Australian postage costs in ad when selling.

I am back to selling as a domestic occasional seller and coming to grips with new/current Australia Post pricing for parcels. I previously used the flat rate satchels via ebay which suited my needs and were easy to use. 

After reading various avenues of information and chat with eBay I tried calculated postage for Australia in my ad.  It then listed the price for regional, the top of the range for a small parcel.  I thought it would not show an amount and simply let them input their postcode for the postage applicable to them. They could then pay this and I send.  

I figure I will now have to repay the amount in excess of actual postage, causing increased time/effort in doing so and contacting buyer.  I prefer selling by auction and do not want to offer free postage.     

Hope this makes sense...does anyone know of a way to resolve my issue please?

Thanks in advance.

🙂

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Problems stating accurate Australian postage costs in ad when selling.

Unless you're putting 40 parcels every eight weeks through MyPost Business, there are no real discounts I believe.

Unless it's changed recently, eBay postage was either $8.95 or &8.65, so it's not really an amount I would refund. And it's a flat rate anyway, so the price is the same Australia-wide.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Up to 5kgs is now flat rate Australia wide and distance based starts after 5kg. 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@pm030659 wrote:

I am back to selling as a domestic occasional seller and coming to grips with new/current Australia Post pricing for parcels. I previously used the flat rate satchels via ebay which suited my needs and were easy to use. 

The satchels still work:

postage 2020.JPG

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Go to your local PO and request a copy of "post Charges" Booklet. It is free and worth it's weight in gold.

Latest copy is dated 02/01/2020.

It comes out usually twice a year, April and Oct.

It has a mass of information and pricing for postage both Aust wide and International.

Just ignore the blurb that doesn't apply to you and focus on the relevent info, I highlight with texta what i want to access and carry that over into each new booklet.

It shows very clearly costs Aust wide, including the weight range, and I have found it invaluable.

If you sell larger bulky items invest in some digital scales to work out postage.

On another personal level, we use plain satchells bought on Ebay, and print off our labels either through Aust Post- My Business account, $8.95, or print Labels off using Ebay print option. Same price-$8.95.

If you sell everything via auction then make your auction commencing price include your postage cost and then you could offer free post.

You will have to experiment to work out what is the best option for you.

Good Luck

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply