Purchase of item and refund

Hi,

It is a message for my sister.  I help her with things and found contacting ebay impossible with all the forms.

Anyway I helped her cancel her business subscription earlier this year.  Someone has purchased an item which we couldn't understand how it happened, but we sent the item off.  The buyer then demanded a refund.  

We tried to find where the money was deposited and we can't find this anywhere and the strange thing is we don't have any bank details or credit cards connected to the account because we thought we had closed the account. 

So how could the buyer pay for an item when no bank details/credit cards are attached to the sellers account?  

This whole thing doesn't seem right.  

Would appreciate feedback and also work out where the money has been deposited and we can then work out how to refund the money.  Thanks

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Purchase of item and refund

I'm not a seller and hopefully one of them will be along soon to give you better help.

In the meantime, I do know that sellers have to be signed up to managed payments. Unless you do that, the money is in limbo land. Ideally, no one should be able to sell on ebay unless they were signed up, (in my own opinion) but that isn't the reality so you'll need to sign up. If you haven't sold in a while, the funds will have a 30 day hold on them by ebay but after that will be available.

My understanding is when a buyer pays, the money goes to ebay & you as seller won't see how they paid.

Did the buyer ask you for a refund or have they actually opened an ebay claim?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Hang on this all sounds very very suspicious to me.

Your account was cancelled,  so no listings up.  But someone bought something,  they paid you, but you havent seen the money.  You sent the item.  Now they want a refund.

Ok,  I wasnt born yesterday,  but gee its a fun story.  Are you sure you arent being scammed.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

It sounds suspicious to me too.

Try eBay live chat and ask to be transferred to a supervisor.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

what was the listing number

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Ah that is interesting to know.  But I am unsure how she managed to sell something if she wasn't signed up to a monthly subscription (it was a business account).  I have now removed all the items from her ebay account, but we have no idea where the money is.  I couldn't work out how to contact ebay.  But if you say there is a live chat I will have a look for it and will try and contact them.  Thanks again very much. Sarah

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Sorry I forgot to say that she sent the item and then the buyer asked for a refund straight away.  They contacted ebay to say the item was not as described.  It is so strange.  We're trying to refund the money but we have to now link a bank account or card number.  Also we haven't received the item.  

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Interesting that you and/or your sister ignored the many communications from eBay regarding Managed Payments. Nothing to do with monthly subscriptions (which are for a store) - MP applies to all sellers.

The money is in limbo until you sign up for MP; something you/she should have done THREE years ago.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

If as you say you havent had a payout as you dont have bank accounts attached.

The money would still be sitting against your Ebay account, and any refund would come from there.  Or are you trying to do this outside of the Ebay Item not as described process.

I go back to my original comment,  

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Ebay's got your money now you'll be lucky if you see a cent, just another little scam just like their sneaky little tax on postage rort!

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply