Refunds on overpaid postage

I know this has been asked before, but my search didn't really answer the question.

I had a buyer purchase 4 items. The first two were purchased close together and there was no Paid symbol next to the transaction when I checked my Sold list. My mistake - I should have also checked my PP account. So I sent an invoice for combined postage (two fairly bulky items which would have each required a 3kg satchel on their own, but fitted into one together). Then the buyer purchased two more items, each with a postage cost for a 500g satchel, but which when combined with the first two items would all fit into a 5kg satchel. So I emailed the buyer and told her to ignore the first invoice, and I sent her a new one. The combined invoice saved her the considerable amount of $27 in postage. She thanked me in her followup email. The next day I noticed that all the purchases had the Paid symbol next to them, and sent off the 5kg satchel with all 4 items.

When I went to give feedback, I noticed that the items all still had the original postage price next to them. So I went into my PP account and yes, she had paid for every transaction with the full postage amount of the uncombined items. Not once did my buyer mention she had already paid for the first two, and then each of the subsequent ones separately.

I know how to give refunds via PP, but how do I let ebay know this so I don't get charged for the individual postage costs?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Partial refund of overpaid post yes,   cancel transaction and refund total sale never in this situation.

I would do a partial refund for overpaid post and just wear the FVF. 

But you could also reduce the partial refund by the FVF difference you had to paid to eBay due to the buyer making separate payments.  You could try for a FVF credit from eBay by ringing them, some sellers have had success getting this, some not.

Personally I would wait until there was some indication that the buyer had received their parcel and was happy with the contentst. 

Whilst unlikely as most buyers are honest, I would only hold off on a partial refund just in case of any issue with goods sent, as you don't have paypal seller protection on every item if separate payments were made.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Cancel original transactions, refund they buyer, resend a new invoice and ask them to pay the correct total... (which may have negative consequences as a seller... the cancellation bit).

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Cancel transactions and refund the buyer for goods all ready posted,  you going crazy am !!! Cat LOL

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I do this at least half a dozen times a month, if buyers use their phone to purchase, they have no option but to pay individually.  Just do the partial refund and add a note that states postage discount, I have never had a problem with this.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Partial refund of overpaid post yes,   cancel transaction and refund total sale never in this situation.

I would do a partial refund for overpaid post and just wear the FVF. 

But you could also reduce the partial refund by the FVF difference you had to paid to eBay due to the buyer making separate payments.  You could try for a FVF credit from eBay by ringing them, some sellers have had success getting this, some not.

Personally I would wait until there was some indication that the buyer had received their parcel and was happy with the contentst. 

Whilst unlikely as most buyers are honest, I would only hold off on a partial refund just in case of any issue with goods sent, as you don't have paypal seller protection on every item if separate payments were made.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

>>But you could also reduce the partial refund by the FVF difference you had to paid to eBay due to the buyer making separate payments.<<

Sounds like a good suggestion. I will wait until I know the buyer has received their parcel first and they are happy with their purchases. It will still be a hefty refund to the buyer of nearly $24.

I just find it odd that the buyer didn't let me know she had already paid for each transaction individually.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

Cancel transactions and refund the buyer for goods all ready posted,  you going crazy am !!! Cat LOL

I might already be crazy.Cat LOL

how do I let ebay know this so I don't get charged for the individual postage costs

That's (cancel, refund, buyer repays correct amount) the only way to get your FVF back from eBay on overpaid postage isn't it (normally, before goods are posted).?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@egglesdtp wrote:

I just find it odd that the buyer didn't let me know she had already paid for each transaction individually.

Sometimes a single payment from the buyer can result in multiple payments to the seller - though I think it would be unusual to unlikely if an invoice had been sent prior to payment being made.

I've had it happen (as a buyer) a couple of times, one was over 12 months ago, payment for two items to the same OS seller, split into two payments with two different exchange rates applied.

Another was to a local seller, I think I had 3 items in my cart, one with free post and the rest with P&H but very low, so I just went through checkout at paid without worrying about a combined invoice. When the PayPal receipt came through, it was for "multiple payments". 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

@thecatspjs wrote:

I might already be crazy.Cat LOL

how do I let ebay know this so I don't get charged for the individual postage costs

That's (cancel, refund, buyer repays correct amount) the only way to get your FVF back from eBay on overpaid postage isn't it (normally, before goods are posted).?

It is not the only way.

The other way is to ring them and ask them to credit as other sellers have done. 

It just ain't a sure thing. Cat Indifferent

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Please note if you give a refund from Paypal , you get a defect from ebay. if you try to recover your FVF, spernt over 1 hour tring to get my FVF fees back for similar transaction and recived 4 defect notices, not good form ebay.

Good Luck

Anthony

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply