Refunds on overpaid postage

I know this has been asked before, but my search didn't really answer the question.

I had a buyer purchase 4 items. The first two were purchased close together and there was no Paid symbol next to the transaction when I checked my Sold list. My mistake - I should have also checked my PP account. So I sent an invoice for combined postage (two fairly bulky items which would have each required a 3kg satchel on their own, but fitted into one together). Then the buyer purchased two more items, each with a postage cost for a 500g satchel, but which when combined with the first two items would all fit into a 5kg satchel. So I emailed the buyer and told her to ignore the first invoice, and I sent her a new one. The combined invoice saved her the considerable amount of $27 in postage. She thanked me in her followup email. The next day I noticed that all the purchases had the Paid symbol next to them, and sent off the 5kg satchel with all 4 items.

When I went to give feedback, I noticed that the items all still had the original postage price next to them. So I went into my PP account and yes, she had paid for every transaction with the full postage amount of the uncombined items. Not once did my buyer mention she had already paid for the first two, and then each of the subsequent ones separately.

I know how to give refunds via PP, but how do I let ebay know this so I don't get charged for the individual postage costs?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Refunds on overpaid postage

I have been issuing refunds on my Paypal account to buyers for overpaid postage if they don't wait for a combined invoice & I have never had a defect imposed by Ebay. I just wear the FVF on the refunded amount - usually doesn't add up to much. Other buyers ring Ebay & get a refund on the FVF for the extra they've paid on the refunded amount. Hope this helps.
Message 11 of 11
Latest reply