Refunds

could someone help me please i have buyer who wants a refund as dress apparently doesnt fit even though i have measurements in all my adds do i have to refund because dress doesnt fit.Im wondering what happens if i decline her request.I bet she has worn it and now has no need for it or maybe im being too cyncial 

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Refunds

If the buyer decides to open an INAD case with eBay they may win the case plus if you want the item returned you'll have to pay return postage.

It's up to you, you can refuse a refund and perhaps call their bluff if they are trying to scam you or do some PR work and offer a full or partial refund.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Refunds

Has she done it through the MBG system or has she just messaged you?

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Refunds

If it's a change of mind return and your listings say you don't accept refunds, you don't have to refund her. If she then decides to open a dispute for NAD, contact eBay and tell them to read the messages between you where she says that she wants to return it because it doesn't fit. Mention that the measurements are in the listing. More than likely you will win the dispute.

If she doesn't open a dispute and you do accept a return, you only refund her for the cost of the dress. She pays postage both ways. Member Black Poppy had this very thing happen recently and she won the dispute the buyer opened after the buyer admitted that it didn't fit.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Refunds

hi thru ebay 

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Refunds

thank you ill decline and see where i end up at
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Refunds

If she's opened a dispute, then you need to fight it. Black Poppy would be the best one to tell you how to go about it, but I think it is along the lines of what I said in my last message.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Refunds

@staypeachy wrote:
thank you ill decline and see where i end up at

You can't just decline when it it is done through ebay or the buyer will ask ebay to step in and it is almost a given that the buyer will win and you will have to refund in full plus the return postage if you want it back.

You need to fight it now if you don't want to spend hours appealing it after ebay had ruled in the buyers favour.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Refunds

I don't think that's correct Lyndal.  

If the seller doesn't accept returns - the evidence from the OP is that she had an option to Decline the return - then there is no problem in declining.  Hit that button and it's over.  

The problems start if, like me, you do allow returns (mine are 14 days).  This means that if the buyer opens a case within the timeframe of receiving the item (ebay's estimation if no tracking) then there is no option for the seller to refuse.  And if the seller doesn't accept, then the buyer can escalate and the seller will lose etc etc. which I think is what you are referring to Lyndal

I think the OP was right to decline, and she has messages clearly stating that it is a change of mind scenario.  You would expect that the buyer cannot then go ahead and start a NAD case, but I've never tested this or heard of it happening so I really don't know.  However OP, you have your original ebay message exchange you have good ammunition to fight the case.

If she tries to open a NAD case in paypal you can use your ebay messages for the same.  It probably won't get to that. 

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Refunds

I have been reading your posts and I think hoping that ebay will favour the seller is just pie in the sky!

I just sold a bracelet. The length is 17cm.

The buyer who is complete nut - starts off like this - before placing a bid asks me if I want to buy some of her

old vintage items outside of ebay. I declined.

The she starts asking is the catch stiff on the bracelet and send me about 4 emails asking the same thing and I keep replying saying the catch is OK, the catch is fine, there is nothing wrong with the catch.

The she wins the item. All is well until a few days after the auction ends and she starts again sending two and three emails at a time, asking why wasn't the item posted the day she paid. On my listings it says will post within 3 business days, because I also have another job. I posted it within 2 days business days which I thought was acceptable. But no, she was going on and on, like a nut case. There is not pleasing this buyer. I thought to myself I just know she will want to return the bracelet when she gets it as I have dealt with people like this before.  And sure enough she gets the bracelet and says she wants to return it because when she measured it, it was 16cm and not 17cm.    She also says because of this it does not fit.

Well this bracelet is a stunning bracelet, perfect and I measure things three and four times to get the measurements right.

I spend a lot of time on the listings, and the photos.

She escalates a return with ebay.  I asked her to take a photo of it next to a ruler to prove it's smaller. The she says, no, it's 16cm when it's down up.   For god sake. I allowed for the catch to slip into the holder so I know it's not 16cm.

I told ebay all of this, the threatening emails I recieved, she was accusing me of having a mental illness because I thought posting an item within 2 business days was acceptable, she has bad history of leaving negative feedback to sellers, and my feedback is almost perfect. So could they also ask her to provide some proof of the measurements as I don't accept returns.

Well ebay, are stringing me along, and they had the nerve to ask me did I have proof like a photo before I posted it to show it was 17cm. I told ebay, since the buyer had the bracelet in her possession wouldn't they simply ask her take a picture. I can't prove it now as the bracelet can't be in two places at once. They even sent me a note to say they wanted me to facilitate a return because they want to rule in her favour. Well I was sick.  I have had emails go back and forth with ebay, probably 10 emails and they still asking me to accept a return... I refuse to accept it because I know my measurements are correct and this buyer was already mentioning to me that she was going to leave negative feedback before she even got the item because I would not give her some compensation for sending the parcel a day late. She she was also using black mail.

God, you can't tell I am still seathing from this can you. Sorry guys for the essay.

The money back guarantee that ebay grant is really being granted by ebay on the sellers behalf, so ebay are making the sellers pay for this guarantee. You can't win.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply