Registered Mail

Can anyone tell me what happens to a registered large letter when it does not get picked up from the P.O.  According to tracking it hass been carded.  I know it will come back to me but how long do they hold them?  I looked at AP site but a blonde moment and couldnt find anything. TIA

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Registered Mail

It says: will hold for 10 business days before returning to sender

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Registered Mail

Tks for the link but I would like to know how long before I get it back? It has sat over a week now and buyer not responding at all
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Registered Mail

It says: will hold for 10 business days before returning to sender
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Registered Mail

And I think  Smiley Frustrated you have to pay postage for it coming back ...or is that just parcels ??

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Registered Mail

I thought that postage included the possibility of returning to sender. 

I've had mail before which came back to me (outside of Ebay) and was just marked "return to sender". I didn't have to pay anything extra.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Registered Mail

Their 'new' policy is that sender has to pay for RTS. I don't know how often it is enforced (although members here have reported it IS enforced), nor what the PIO thinks about it. I'm sure that the first time I get hit I will know the PIO's take on it however.

Then the fun will begin, if AP thinks they can charge a sender for a recipient's unwillingness/inability to collect/receive. Especially when it is not uncommon for cards to disappear into the ether.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Registered Mail

I've never had a charge on a returned letter, but I know it's applied to a lot of domestic parcels (they will just automatically charge it if the sender is on eParcel, and some couriers do the same thing; in some cases charging more than the original shipping cost).

Aus Post did have a "postage due" sticker on one of the parcels that was returned to me, but the staff decided not to make me pay it, and they wouldn't have wanted to try, either Smiley LOL (it was a domestic express package that disappeared and took several days to be delivered, and I had already replaced it with another express package that arrived next-day, so asked the buyer to mark the original as RTS when it got there).

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Registered Mail

@davewil1964 wrote:

Their 'new' policy is that sender has to pay for RTS. I don't know how often it is enforced (although members here have reported it IS enforced), nor what the PIO thinks about it. I'm sure that the first time I get hit I will know the PIO's take on it however.

Then the fun will begin, if AP thinks they can charge a sender for a recipient's unwillingness/inability to collect/receive. Especially when it is not uncommon for cards to disappear into the ether.

What change of policy are you referring to ?

Australia Post Terms and Conditions for post articles only provide for a post charge to be applied if the parcel has been delivered and/or the parcel has been opened - unless the sender has negated this base condition under another contract such as e-parcel. 

Other carriers have quite different terms and conditions and are not comparable to Aust Post.

If AP registered article has not been delivered (including only being carded) and it has sender's return address it should be returned to sender at no cost.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Registered Mail

@thecatspjs wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

What change of policy are you referring to ?

Australia Post Terms and Conditions for post articles only provide for a post charge to be applied if the parcel has been delivered and/or the parcel has been opened - unless the sender has negated this base condition under another contract such as e-parcel. 

Other carriers have quite different terms and conditions and are not comparable to Aust Post.

If AP registered article has not been delivered (including only being carded) and it has sender's return address it should be returned to sender at no cost.

"Should" might be your opinion, but that's not what's been happening There have been multiple members come here complaining reporting they have been charged when an item was RTS. They have every right to be upset.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply