Reluctant buyer finally paid but now complaining about purchase.

ann0435
Community Member

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago about my high bidder who "forgot" that he bid on the item....a camera lens about twenty five years old and in remarkably good condition for it's age.  After a couple of reminders the bidder  asked for some extra days to pay, then asked for a discount. He did pay but now says there are two small scratches on the lens and he hopes that it will be all right, he will try it out and see! Should I just offer a refund or a discount....I had a feeling that he would not be happy. 

I am not a big seller, just retired and trying to sell items that I know I won't use. The really irritating thing is that there was another bidder.

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Reluctant buyer finally paid but now complaining about purchase.

Do nothing yet - wait until he contacts you again.   It may be ok

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

As suggested, don't do anything yet, the 30 days to open an eBay case may expire.

At least if he then wants it returned he will need to pay return postage and won't get a refund until it's returned.

(If it is returned, you will probably resell it quickly anyway)

image host

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Do nothing yet - wait until he contacts you again.   It may be ok

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

As suggested, don't do anything yet, the 30 days to open an eBay case may expire.

At least if he then wants it returned he will need to pay return postage and won't get a refund until it's returned.

(If it is returned, you will probably resell it quickly anyway)

image host
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Is it the Olympus lens?

If it is, the listing states that there are no scratches.  If the buyer decides to open an ebay dispute for Item Not As Described you will be responsible for the return postage.

It does not matter if the item is in good condition for it's age, if it is scratched then it is not as described. If I paid that much for a camera lens I would be furious if it arrived scratched.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

what if it's not scratched? the OP didn't say it was just the buyer.

very hard to prove the buyer didnt drop it, scratch it, stick it in some sand, after recieving it.

its a his word over sellers word.

if hes an honest buyer hopefully the lens will be returned even if it means the OP pays both ways.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I did not see any scatches at all, he says there are two small scratches he is trying it out and will get back to me. I am not against refunding him if that is what he wants. 

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Don't jump the gun on the refund.

His comment about the scratches might be just a primer to a refund attempt.

I wouldn't refund this unless returned.

If it is returned make sure you inspect it before you refund him.

Stay calm and professional. Use the ebay message system because the messages are recorded/logged.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

Seems a bit cheeky/inappropriate to bid, win an auction and then ask for a discount afterwards?

And If I was a buyer that had an issue with a substantial purchase, I'd be on to it quick smart, taking

photos immediately to show the seller the damage etc, not dragging things out. Sounds like things

have already 'dragged out' somewhat if the auction ended 23rd April.....

Hope all turns out ok

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

i know i harp on about selling second hand items on ebay.

but this case shows once again how dishonest buyers, and i'm not saying this buyer is dishonest, can manipulate the rules.

buy a used item of a value not too high, then claim its got a fault so want a refund. hoping the seller says ok, its not worth the hassel of the return process, heres your money back.

buyer gets item and money back.

ive seen so many threads of similar things happening.

once you decide to sell an item thats not new sealed in shrink wrap the nasties seem to lock onto you.

it should be the buyers responsibility to prove an item was faulty when they opened the box, not the sellers.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for the helpful comments. Still no word from buyer re whether he wants refund on the lens and he has had it for some time now. I have sold all my other items with no hassles so that's it for me as an E Bay seller for now. I found it all a bit stressful but did get to know the Post office staff.

Good luck everyone, Regards Ann

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply