Requesting Opinions on "Free" postage and refunding buyers

Postage with an ebay satchel is around $8 by the time you buy the satchel and pay the Click n Send.

If postage is free, and the item is being posted in a satchel, then although the buyer doesn't actually pay a postage amount, the seller is still spending $8 to send the item to the buyer.

So what happens when the buyer wants to return the item for a refund for whatever reason?  The buyer pays return shipping.

Do you think the seller should refund the full purchase amount, or deduct the original $8 they paid to send the item to the buyer?

Hardly seems fair to the seller to be out $8 on the deal.

What would you do?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Requesting Opinions on "Free" postage and refunding buyers

Thanks for your input everyone.   Having recently refunded 3 dresses due to change of mind, even though my TOS says no refunds for change of mind, and being out the postage costs for these, I have decided to emulate the Restocking Fee as per Lane-ends.

I admit I still feel bad about not refunding all the original payment, but at $8 postage per item, I have to sell a lot to cover that. So a Restocking fee it is  🙂

Thanks and happy sales to all!  🙂

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

@*new2vintage wrote:

The idea behind it is that you add the cost for postage to the amount you want for the item which ebay approves of. Technically postage isn't free for a buyer.

Irrrelevent if turns out to be a no sale. regardless of price seller would be out post cost, with no sale.

I use restocking fee if return for no fault, though sometimes I waive this if they exchange..motivation not to loose sae completely

How can that be a suitable solution to this thread and its topic ? I can see no connection between whether or not to refund the cost for postage when a buyer expects to receive a full refund and not needing to due to a non sale. Smiley Indifferent

TCT
Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

@svartee wrote:

Thanks for your input everyone.   Having recently refunded 3 dresses due to change of mind, even though my TOS says no refunds for change of mind, and being out the postage costs for these, I have decided to emulate the Restocking Fee as per Lane-ends.

I admit I still feel bad about not refunding all the original payment, but at $8 postage per item, I have to sell a lot to cover that. So a Restocking fee it is  🙂

Thanks and happy sales to all!  🙂

Here's an easy solution; don't give refunds for change of mind. Also please keep in mind ebay's version of free postage is to include it in the total amount.

TCT
Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

i was not trying to be cute as you call it ,and i resent that remark,i had already packed the item and was waiting if the item sold and where it was to go before taking it to the p.o to get the right postage ,and could send the right price for postage ,i might not have your long experience as a seller ,but i was doing what i thought was the right thing, its a pity that the other party did read and understand my full description  ,because when i buy items i make it my business to read everything that is written ,and in my past purchases i have often bought items that stated buyer to pay postage and on the same page states postage free, maybe i am missing something?

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

calvert9464...

the postage options listed form part of the description/sale/contract/terms

if you list as free shipping.. then that is what it is.. no extra to pay. easy and simple.

If you have seen others listing free shipping and then wanting to charge more - they are doing it wrong.

You can work out the freight costs by measuring the parcel size and use and freight estimator @ australiapost.com.au OR enter those dimensions onto the ebay listing page (select the The calculated postage option) and the correct postage will be calculated for the buyer, no matter where they are in Australia (excluding some off shore locations).

my rule is.. if I make a mistake on shipping fees, I just absorb it and remember next time to take better care at pricing the goods/freight at the right price.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply