Restricted brand names or high risk items list!

As the title states, I can not find a list on here anywhere and also would really like to know.  As I am sure you are aware eBay likes to randomly punish some people for listing certain brands whilst others get a free reign to sell (gotta love ebay).  But will not tell us what we can and cant list instead wait untill we do and penalise us then. I had a great convo with chat support which left me with more questions then answers.

So I am starting this post for peope to share there experiences with so called prohibited items on ebay so we can get a defined list of what ebay allows and does not.

If you could just put downa a certain type of product that got you in trouble or any certain brand names too, I will compile them all into a list at the end and post it on this forum for all to use.

Thanks for all your help fellow ebayers.

Best Regards

GS

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You will probably find that most of the sellers 'getting away with it' are authorised resellers, or have permission from the brand to sell it. For example, if you want to sell say Disney stuff, you have to get permission from Disney to sell it.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

thats what I needed thankyou, so "Disney" is one of the brand names. I also know of "GHD hair products", "Bretling" products and "Tiffany". Thats four so we are of to a good start.

begining of the list

1. Disney
  2. Tiffany
  3. GHD Hair products
  4. Breitling
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Pandora stuff I believe and also big name electronics. I don't think you will ever get a full list as there are so many brands out there that you need permission to sell. Sellers usually find out the hard way when they list something they shouldn't.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

There's a list of the brand names registered with the VeRO program but the link is broken. What a surprise that an eBay Help page link is not working!

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/tp/programs-vero-ov.html

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

that is exaclty why i have started this list as eBay wont give us a list. I myself have been through it as I am certain you guys have. So those items that you have woken up to find deleted and a warning sent to you from ebay. Please share what that item was as we will then have a comprehensive list that we"know" are high risk items not just what they "say" are.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

http://vero.ebay.com/

Has a very comprehensive list.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Presumably this only applies to people selling bulk/new items as part of a business etc.

There should be no restriction to people selling a secondhand item ie a disney toy or dvd, pandora bracelet, tiffany whatever they sell? Or does ebay put a blanket no sale policy on any/all of these things?

I find that you report something prohibited and it goes without a response.

I reported someone selling an inert/deactivated hand grenade. 10 day auction, I saw it when 9 days remained. Reported it. Still on there with 5 days remaining. Reported it again. Auction ran to completion and got a successful sale. These are not allowed under ebays weapons policy. So what now...if I list a similar item and its shut down, can I cite the other listing as an example and ask for my listing to be reinstated?

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

well at least eBay is consistant at being inconsistant!

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

eBay can't actually provide members with a comprehensive list because technically, it's not a decision eBay makes, in that they themselves neither allow nor disallow certain brands to be listed on site, but they will act upon a complaint from a verified rights holder, but it effectively means any brand or copyright holder may lodge a report on an item if they think it breaches IP laws. 

The link to eBay's VERO members posted above is a good place to start, you can consider those some of the more volatile brand names. Also keep in mind that the same policies apply to anything that would need to be licensed, which covers a vast array of things - anything trademarked and/or protected by copyright that is then used on a product, or to try and sell a product, without permission. 

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply