Return to Sender

I sold and sent to address provided by eBay.

Item returned to me safely, marked RTS.

I reckon I have just received the most dodgy advice from the chat service

Seriously suggesting I could keep the item and the buyers cash.....

I doubt that would end well.

FWIW I was trying to get eBay to give some compensation for the postage cost (I failed with that)

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Return to Sender

As you have fulfilled your obligations, to both ebay and the buyer, any refund to the buyer should now be at the expense of ebay.

(You are required to ship to the address provided by ebay,  You are required to ship within your stated handling time, And the shipment must show at least 1  valid tracking event (IE:  lodgement).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Return to Sender

Was the item returned because it was not picked up at the post office after a failed attempted delivery?

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Return to Sender

Attempted delivery at address.

Auspost tracking showed  "Returned to Sender - Receiver not known at address"

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Return to Sender

Maybe the buyer moved and forgot to update their details.

Have you contacted the buyer?

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Return to Sender

I contacted the buyer via text and ebay messenger.

No response UNTIL the item was marked as collected / delivered back to me.

Then a request for money back was received.

Feels like a change of mind 

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Return to Sender

As you have fulfilled your obligations, to both ebay and the buyer, any refund to the buyer should now be at the expense of ebay.

(You are required to ship to the address provided by ebay,  You are required to ship within your stated handling time, And the shipment must show at least 1  valid tracking event (IE:  lodgement).

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Return to Sender

Wow - I have learnt something today.

I really should have forced the buyer to open a dispute and let it play out.

Lesson learnt (thank you)

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Return to Sender

As no case was opened, you are under no legal obligation to refund anything.

Personally, I refund less ALL costs - fees, postage, packaging materials. It often doesn't leave a lot left, but it is not the seller's fault if the buyer won't collect/accept an item.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Return to Sender

I have just had this issue happen to me twice in the last week, prior to that NEVER happening in 8 years. I now am starting to worry that a rival seller who bought from me, then left negative feedback when I cancelled the sale after previously blocking all their accounts (I noticed the contact details were the same number) is getting friends or family to buy. 

I am wondering what angle they could be trying here if so? So far, they have not opened a claim, one of the parcels only arrived back this morning after 4 weeks waiting to be collected. 

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to proceed both with the dealing with the returned to sender issue, and also what angle any rival seller could be trying to take here if that is what is happening? 

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Return to Sender

omg....trying to shut competition down?? Be careful

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply