Revising invoice to add postage to item price

New years greetings to one and all. ๐Ÿ™‚

An item has already been bought (not paid for yet), but the buyer is asking for the postage to be revised to free post with it added on to the item price. E.g. $10 order with $5 postage, revised (after placing the order) to be $15 with free postage.

Sometimes there are discounts available and they only apply to the item price, exclusing postage. Cheers. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Revising invoice to add postage to item price

Happy New Year to you too Soul Cat Happy

If a buyer asked me nicely, I would relist with post included too.

Otherwise you may lose the sale, and they are getting harder to come by.

Message 21 of 36
Latest reply

There is absolutely nothing wrong, if a buyer asked you to, to re-list an item with the postage included ('free post') so they can take advantage of a promotion that excludes postage cost.

It doesn't go against eBay's rules, otherwise millions of sellers who list as 'free post' with postage included are going against the rules.

As thecatspjs said, being flexible with buyers is very important, especially for us small sellers.
Message 22 of 36
Latest reply

soul, I think that eBay would probably take a dim view of you cancelling a sale and then relisting as free post so that the buyer could utilise the voucher.

From your OP:-

"An item has already been bought (not paid for yet), but the buyer is asking for the postage to be revised to free post with it added on to the item price. E.g. $10 order with $5 postage, revised (after placing the order) to be $15 with free postage."

It's probably a moot point since eBay's very unlikely to pick it up, but if they did, who knows what their reaction might be.

I just wonder why the buyer doesn't just wait a while until they make another $5.00 spend and buy all the items from their cart, then the problem's solved without any possibility of a backlash?

Edit. The sellers offering "free post" on their listings are doing that on the original listing not a relist to the same buyer.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 23 of 36
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

soul, I think that eBay would probably take a dim view of you cancelling a sale and then relisting as free post so that the buyer could utilise the voucher.

"An item has already been bought (not paid for yet), but the buyer is asking for the postage to be revised to free post with it added on to the item price. E.g. $10 order with $5 postage, revised (after placing the order) to be $15 with free postage."

It's probably a moot point since eBay's very unlikely to pick it up, but if they did, who knows what their reaction might be.

I just wonder why the buyer doesn't just wait a while until they make another $5.00 spend and buy all the items from their cart, then the problem's solved without any possibility of a backlash?

Edit. The sellers offering "free post" on their listings are doing that on the original listing not a relist to the same buyer.

eBay would be absolutely fine with it. I know that. They actively encourage listings to be changed/re-lsted with free post.

Really, that is not speculation or hearsay. That's fact. I don't understand what is being disagreed with here. I've explained it from multiple angles. Anyone can re-list an item with free post. Seems you are trying to disagree but you are clearly wrong. Only thecatspjs and maybe one other person gets it.

Message 24 of 36
Latest reply

@thesoulyearns wrote:

eBay would be absolutely fine with it. I know that. They actively encourage listings to be changed/re-lsted with free post.

Really, that is not speculation or hearsay. That's fact. I don't understand what is being disagreed with here. I've explained it from multiple angles. Anyone can re-list an item with free post. Seems you are trying to disagree but you are clearly wrong. Only thecatspjs and maybe one other person gets it.

Fair enough soul, but my point was would they still encourage a cancellation and relist for the same buyer with free postage, so that they could use a voucher. 

I don't know TBH, they could look at it either way I guess.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 25 of 36
Latest reply

A buyer is allowed to make a mistake or change their minds. That's partly why cancellation procedures are put in. For most sellers, it's no problem. A simple cancel, re-list and move on. Maybe you think of eBay as being very harsh or bad to buyers. They're not and sellers like myself are not either. Maybe some sellers are. Since eBay makes probably most of its profit from sellers and buyers alike, they are very fair and thus requires us to be fair as well. It's simple basic friendly way of doing business. We seem to have a different view of the site in which we participate. I, for one, like eBay. ๐Ÿ™‚

This seems funny when thinking about it. How a function such as re-listing an item to meet a buyer's specifications for an eBay promotion that encourages the editing done (making it free post) would be wrong. I guess only two people in this thread really understand how it isn't.

That's it for me in this thread, there really isn't any way I can better explain things. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 26 of 36
Latest reply

@thesoulyearns wrote:

@padi*0409 wrote:

I just went and took a look at the T&Cs of the $20 off when spending $100 voucher.

souly, Clause 9 may in fact scuttle your claim that "eBay would be absolutely fine with it":

9 - eBay reserves the right to disallow or reverse a discount in circumstances where it believes a sale or purchase of any item as part of this sale has not been made in good faith. This includes any collusive conduct by buyers or sellers or any other conduct which eBay considers unfair or untoward.

I agree with padi's assessment, and I suppose it would depend on eBay's interpretation of "good faith" and whether eBay would consider the scenario you have described in your OP as being "unfair or untoward"

Personally, I think a case could be made for souly going ahead (i.e. cancelling and then relisting) with a clear conscience AS WELL AS lyndal's position of "I am not sure I would want to be complicit in duping ebay".

I know this will sound like I am sitting on the fence, but I doubt that souly will be asking eBay as they may lose a sale if eBay considers the action inappropriate under Clause 9, and lyndal won't be stepping in and asking eBay for a ruling as she doesn't interfere in other member's business like that.

Guys, let it go, it's much like schrodinger's cat, unless eBay is asked whether it is okay both positions can be viewed as valid.

ref: for an explanation of schrodinger's cat - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger's_cat

Message 27 of 36
Latest reply

It has previously been determined (or not, as the case may be, depending on whether the claws are observed or not (and no, I didn't need to read your link. Us 2 digit IQers, you know)) that it is Schrodinger's claws, Sir.

Message 28 of 36
Latest reply

Soul, nobody has said you are doing anything wrong listing with free postage  It is your buyer who is trying to do the wong thing in asking you to do it that way so they can get a discount from ebay that they are not really entitled to.

Have you read the terms of the voucher as posted by k1ooo?

Message 29 of 36
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Soul, nobody has said you are doing anything wrong listing with free postage  It is your buyer who is trying to do the wong thing in asking you to do it that way so they can get a discount from ebay that they are not really entitled to.

Have you read the terms of the voucher as posted by k1ooo?

There is nothing that stands out in the OP or in the rest of the comments that indicates that the buyer is "trying to do the wrong thing" as is claimed.
It just sounds like that a buyer purchased goods in the first place believing they could get a discount on the purchase - without realising that post was not covered by eBay and/or thinking that a seller could easily amend an invoice to include the post charge so they could use their discount. 
Message 30 of 36
Latest reply