Ripped Off Fraudulent claim

Just Sold an item and posted it the same day to meet my Ebay requirements only to get a message stating the buyer did not authorize the transaction.

I messaged the buyer to confirm and they told me it was a member of the household who purchased it .

It has been received by them as i have the messages to prove it but Ebay has refunded them and charged me $22 for the privilege of being ripped off.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Ripped Off Fraudulent claim

Unfortunately there is not much you can do to defend against credit card chargebacks aside from qualify for protection (the eligibility requirements may vary, depending on who the payment processor was, since ebay charged $22, though, I assume you're on managed payments, so I've copied their requirements in the spoiler box below), as the bank will be the ones making the decision as to whether accept or deny the cardholder's claim. 

That being said, it seems that you have an open admission from the eBay account holder that they are now in possession of fraudulently obtained goods, so I would send them a message advising of this, and that an immediate return of the goods or repayment of the funds is required in order to avoid a report of the fraud being made to the appropriate authorities. 

Spoiler

When a buyer reports that they don't recognise the transaction:

You provided proof of delivery that included all of the following:
Tracking number provided by the carrier company (uploaded by the date indicated in the payment dispute notification);
A delivery status of "delivered";
Date of delivery;
The recipient's address, showing at least the city/suburb or postcode (or international equivalent) that matches the address displayed on the eBay Order details page; and
Proof of signature confirmation, if an order has a total cost (including postage and any applicable taxes) of $750 or more, uploaded as an image while contesting the payment dispute.

OR You have validated the identity of the person collecting the item, and provided proof of collection while contesting the payment dispute which includes all of the following:
Date of collection;
Order ID, item number, item title and price paid;
The customer's signature on the collection form; and
For items collected from the retailer, the store location matching the delivery address on the order.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

You state you have messages to show delivery, but was the item actually shipped with tracking.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks for your message. No tracking but the buyer confirmed the dvd had arrived but that someone else had made the purchase. I presume someone within their own household or friend etc. Why else would they give the correct address details.
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

This has happened to me a few times. I had always sent the item already, with tracking, and ebay said they were refunding the buyer but that I was not required to pay. One time it occurred before I posted the item, and the buyer asked to cancel as her 10 year old son had bought it without permission (a Harrods leather handbag for $70...hmm. lol)
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply