Ripped off by buyer

I'm wondering if any sellers can advise me on what I should do here.

I recently sold an item it was paid for by the buyer using Paypal, the item was shipped (without tracking). The buyer has now claimed fraudulant account activity on her Paypal account (re: unauthorised access) and Paypal are asking me to refund her or provide tracking info.

I phoned the buyer this morning and she hung up on me after I said who I was and what its concerning.

I am very well aware that this person has indeed received the item purchased and is claiming unauthorised access through Paypal to keep the item and get the refund.

She is new to eBAy with only 5 feedbacks and joing last month.

I am unable to even open an item dispute to claim unpaid item.

This is totally unexceptable, I can't even leave a neg feedback. I have contacted eBay no results there.

Does anyone have any advise for me? I've been a seller on eBAy for many years and I've never come across this before.

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ripped off by buyer

The buyer wanted to pay by paypal and then collect an item in person. At $250 I would not accept this as he could just go home and claim non reseipt of the item.

You should have explained that there is no PP protection for pick up items.  As long as it was obvious that the item was picked up = no postage charged, then they would not be able to claim on PP.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 31 of 39
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Maybe not a paypal claim but the buyer could do a bank chargeback if he funded the paypal payment with a credit card.

Message 32 of 39
Latest reply

So many times we'll get the buyer say "oh no I don't want another one, I want a refund" Of course there's nothing we can do because if we refuse Paypal refund anyway after they open a non-reciept of item claim.

Of course there is something you can do, you can send a replacement with valid proof of posting, either registered letter or click & send parcel are the most cost effective services. Supply Paypal with the tracking and the buyer ends up with no refund, they end up with two of something but if sending the replacement costs less than the item cost you to buy plus the delivery charges you are still better off.

If a buyer is trying it on and it is them who have used the claimed fraudulent use then very often a request that they make payment immediately or they will be reported to the police works wonders however if the chargeback is for faulty or not received goods then the cardholder is perfectly entitled to initiate a chargeback if they do not wish to go through the Paypal dispute process. For damaged items the bank will usually insist, just like Paypal,  that the item is returned.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 33 of 39
Latest reply

Yes! get you money out and never deal with eBay or Paypal again!
Message 34 of 39
Latest reply

This thread is 8 YEARS OLD and you dig it up to add what?

Nothing.    horror smiley.gif

Message 35 of 39
Latest reply

Obviously still smarting from not following the procedures to get money back LAST year.

Message 36 of 39
Latest reply

@briangold2012 wrote:
Yes! get you money out and never deal with eBay or Paypal again!

And still selling

Message 37 of 39
Latest reply

I'm not showing any items. I thought maybe somebody who threatened to take their bat and ball actually had.

Message 38 of 39
Latest reply

Sold items. 

Sold the same silver ingot on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Well, they used the same photo for both listings.....tsk, lazy

Message 39 of 39
Latest reply