Rude buyer

So I sold someone a product, I thought it was real I mean I didn't intentionally sell a fake but this clothing item there are so many different styles running around, anyway he's being extremely rude etc on messages, not that I care, but if I offer a refund I have to send him my address, and eBay won't refund him until he sends it to me with proof, is that about right? He wants postage on top but I know once I refund I'm the money he's deleted from the transaction. I'm not a power seller, I jut sell a few second hand items I come across. I want to tell him where to go to be honest, but if I did then he asked eBay for a refund what would happen he would keep item and I would be debited the full amount? A few years ago I sold an iPhone to a girl and she got a refund and she still had the iPhone luckily she did get it back to me, but I'm not sure how the dealings go these days. Only refunded one item a long time ago.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Rude buyer

You're between a rock and a hard place....do you want the item back (pay return postage) or are you happy to refund...the choice is yours? Lots of 'copy' items are reproduced in Bali/Indonesia.....be aware
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Rude buyer

thanks for the reply, so its even worse now, I sent him my address to send it back and he continued being a piece of work and said i need to refund him right now, so if i open up a ebay dispute what will happen?  I think he wants the item for free to be honest, smh

Last time the lady sent back the sunglasses (which has prescription lenses apparently but you cant tell) and then i refunded her and ebay removed her from the system.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Rude buyer

@justind71,

This may sound a bit harsh... but it is your responsibility as the seller to be sure - absolutely sure - that what you are selling is not a fake.

Spoiler

You have previously had an issue with a buyer commenting that the Ralph Lauren item they bought was fake - and that should have been an alarm bell going off in your ear to take extra precautions not to take a label at face value. The sad truth is that I think the two R. L. polo shirts that you sold recently are knock-offs. (I am basing this on what I can see of the logo, the stitching, the label, and the general look of the fabric. I can't see enough of the other elements that would confirm this.)

It isn't enough to not "intentionally sell a fake"; someone selling second-hand clothing has to be sure. It's one thing if you're selling clothing that you purchased personally from an authorised reseller for the label; it's another thing entirely to be selling clothing obtained from other sources - op shops, etc. You've got to do due diligence - or be prepared for some buyers to open SNAD claims.

If you list brand name items that aren't genuine, you're contravening eBay's Counterfeit policy. (It's also a criminal offence.)

Under eBay's Money Back Guarantee, the buyer will automatically be refunded if you don't resolve the issue. You have three days from the time that the buyer opens the request, and you are responsible for the cost of return postage via a tracked method. The buyer will be refunded the full amount (including original postage).

If you can PROVE that the item you sold is genuine, such as a sales receipt from the original store, or a letter asserting authenticity on the letterhead of the brand's company, then you would be able to contest the claim.

If you can't prove that it's genuine, you need to weigh up a few things:

• Is it worth receiving back the item, given that you will have lost the price paid, the original postage cost, plus the cost of tracked return postage to you?
  • Is it worth relisting the item, given that suspicion has been raised that it's not genuine?
  • Is your best option to cut your losses on this item? (Did it involve a good deal of money, or was it only $20 to $30...?)

Were I in your position, I think I would probably refund the buyer through the request (before it has been escalated by the buyer), and ask the buyer to destroy the item. I'd apologise and say that I was not aware that there was any possibility of its not being genuine, and that I am fully refunding, and can you (the buyer) please destroy the garment? No need to return it... Something along those lines.

If you don't resolve this, the buyer will - after 3 days - be able to ask eBay to step in. This will result in eBay refunding the buyer in full, and you'll be charged for that refund. Worse, you'll receive a defect that could affect your account; it doesn't take many of those defects before a seller is limited or even suspended permanently. If you act now to reassure the buyer that this was an error and that you take full responsibility for it, you're going to avoid a world of pain. The worst that will happen in that case is that you lose the amount for which the item sold (plus original postage) - and that's not bad in comparison with what you'd lose if the buyer escalates the dispute.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Rude buyer

@justind71 wrote:

thanks for the reply, so its even worse now, I sent him my address to send it back and he continued being a piece of work and said i need to refund him right now, so if i open up a ebay dispute what will happen?  I think he wants the item for free to be honest, smh

Last time the lady sent back the sunglasses (which has prescription lenses apparently but you cant tell) and then i refunded her and ebay removed her from the system.

If you have decided to go down the route of having the buyer send back the item, you are responsible for the postage cost.

When an item is returned

The seller is responsible for:

• Providing a return postage label or another return method that is acceptable to the buyer

You can politely let the buyer know that the actual refund is actioned once the item has been returned.

You should bookmark this page: How to handle a return request as a seller.

How to accept a return

To accept a return:

1. Go to your Returns dashboard.
  2. Select View return details beside the item.
  3. Select Accept the return and then Continue.
  4. If you're responsible for return postage, choose how you'll arrange for the item to be returned.
    If the buyer is responsible, choose your return address from the drop-down menu.
  5. Enter a Return Merchandise Authorisation number, if you use them.
  6. Select Confirm.

The buyer then has 5 business days to post the item back to you.

Also bookmark this page: Return postage for sellers. Read through that page to determine how you'll provide the return postage label. Remember, you're responsible for paying for the tracked return postage.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Rude buyer

Thanks for the in depth reply.  I will just refund it there's no problem, he was a rude **bleep** though, and I was a bit triggered by his attitude to be honest. So he hasn't launched a refund yet, if I just hit refund and then he can't leave feedback can he? and that's the finish if it? Because last time I did that, they couldn't even communicate anymore after the refund.

also, I don't particularly want the item back, but if it was of value, is it true that you don't have to give the refund until the item is back in your hands or can the buyer rip you off?   So for example, you send the seller the money to return the item, he keeps the money, keeps the item and still gets a refund, is this possible?  Had the eBay account for eleven years and only two returns that's not bad is it lol

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Rude buyer

I thought Ebay did not require buyers of fake/counterfeit items to return them (and suggest they destroy the item). Personally, if I was the seller, I would not want it returned as I can't resell it (and would be now knowingly breaking the law if I did).

You might be better to save yourself the return postage & just refund.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Rude buyer

justind71, oh lord! Your question about whether feedback is possible could open a can of worms.

You would be protected from unfavourable feedback if your listing offered free returns and  you accepted the return and refunded the buyer. (That's covered in the Seller protections page.) I think a buyer can still give feedback if there's a refund - but I'm not sure.

However, you would apparently be able to appeal, on the basis of the Seller performance and defect removal policy. Specifically:

❝Appeals aren't considered if tracking shows the item is still in transit, if there is an open eBay Money Back Guarantee request or a refund hasn't been issued for a returned item.❞

That suggests that appeals are considered if a refund has been issued.

But... in the event that you receive a negative, a politely-worded reply can be very useful... something along the lines of "Accepted buyer's word about item condition; fully refunded."

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Rude buyer

I think where the seller is at fault (and if you sold a non genuine item, even by mistake, that is you) then you would be expected to issue the buyer with a return postage label which they can print and use to return the item.

That way, they can't 'keep the money' for postage and they are not out of pocket so there shouldn't be any trouble getting the item back. When you receive it, you give a full refund, including original postage.

I'm not sure where you stand after that with feedback but imagine it probably could be given as a sale did take place. If that's the case, then deal with it as it comes and reply along the lines countess suggested. No one likes bad feedback (if they get it) but how you reply to it can be a huge factor in how other buyers react to it. You want them to decide you seem reasonable and will work with them to resolve things if there is a problem.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Rude buyer

Ok, you made a mistake, like we all do.

Ignore the buyer's rudeness - do not refund until you have the item back.

Follow the countess advice and organise a return postage label through ebay.

Stay polite,  just say of course you will accept the refund, please send back with the return label provided.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply