Safer Payments, accepted payment policy. Cannot list for pay on pickup

I am trying to list an item for pick up only, I have selected the pay on pick up but every time I do it, I get a red alert telling me I have to choose a safer payment method, like paypal or paymate.

I want payment on pickup.

Any help appreciated please.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Safer Payments, accepted payment policy. Cannot list for pay on pickup

That is all very well but you cannot refuse a Paypal payment and while the buyer has no Paypal protection if they have funded the payment with a credit card they can do a chargeback and you have absolutely no defence as you have no proof of posting.

My way eliminates even that minimal risk.

If the item is pu only and i state cash on pick up only, then anyone paying by paypal would soon find their payment refunded by me!

I realise I have to offer PP because i cant list without offering it, but im not going to accept a pppayment for a pick up only item. esp since the buyer might not even find the item suitable at time of collection.

How about you just do it your way...and i will do it my way...and Azurline can do it her way! B-)

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

That's what I've done in the past too Jane.

It is quite silly that cash on pick-up is not included as a safe payment method 😄

I get the need to offer safe payment in relation to on-line purchase of goods sight unseen, but not when the goods exchange is happening face-to-face.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

4ewe, i should add, altho gumtree ads are free, additional features for your ad come at a price but are not essential.

Signatures suck.
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

It is quite silly that cash on pick-up is not included as a safe payment method

I agree with the sentiment, but actually it is not silly, it's consistent with the only reason for the safe payment fiction, which is to   browbeat sellers into accepting paypal. The fake alternatives are credit card  which is totally unviable for the majority of ebayers (the backbone of ebay that they're trying to drive away), and Paymate which was removed from ebay when they acquired paypaypaypal, and only allowed in after they ebay concocted a deal with them to hit buyers with excessive fees, in a flagrant evasion of the ACCC's ruling on their earlier bullying. If they acknowledge that cash on pickup is safe, it's the thin edge of the wedge.

Is it silly that other safe payment methods such as bank deposit are not included?

Is it silly that such an unsafe method as paypal is included? I don't suppose anyone has any reliable statistics on the proportion of ebay fraud that involves payment by paypal, but I'm sure if ebay had the information they wouldn't release it!

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

beads.... paymate costs the same now as it did several years ago when I first used it, what makes you think ebay made them increase their % price?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Direct deposit is NOT a safe payment method. An item can become damaged or lost or the seller might not send it and there is no buyer protection. Don't spread misinformation !

TCT
Message 16 of 16
Latest reply