Sale dispute

Good morning. I am selling an item at present and over the weekend I accepted an offer from a buyer. After the offer acceptance I was contacted by the buyer asking for a postage quote and whether I would cover the postage cost. I said I would get a quote on Monday (today) and then we would negotiate. This buyer made no payment.  I’m the meantime another buyer bought the item and paid for it . There is now a dispute as to who has won the item. Can you please confirm what the eBay policy is with respect to this. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Sale dispute

"Bird in the hand" springs to mind. 

Just my opinion. 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Usually by accepting an offer the item is considered and marked as sold.

It was obviously still for sale for the 2nd buyer to purchase and pay.

Had you included postage in either sale.??

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

If you accepted the offer how was it available for purchase?  Even if buyer paid straight away there is no way you would have it yet.

Can see a world of pain.  Have you had ID & Bank ID confirmed?  Selling has changed considerably since you last sold.  You will need to register for Managed Payments prior to seeing any money.  As a new/infrequent seller there will also be up to 30 day hold on your funds.

Someone else will be along soon and probably help you with the 2 buyer problem.

In the meantime I suggest you have a read through Selling on Ebay so you will know for the future.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

You have obviously chosen to relist the item, for a much lower price, so it makes sense someone else is going to buy it if they want it. 

For your original buyer, you said you would send them a postage quote on Monday, so of course they aren't going to pay before that. It's not midday yet, they are probably at work and may not be able to access ebay until they get home. They bought 2 days ago. They have 4 days to pay before you can open a non payment dispute. Yet, the very next day after sale, you relisted the item.

Where do you go from here? You send the postage quote to the initial buyer via an invoice, and give them time to pay. If they don't pay within 4 days of sale, you can then opt to send it to the second buyer. If the first buyer pays, you cancel the sale for the second buyer and wear the well deserved negative feedback that you'll receive. 

Regardless, you are going to have to cancel at least one of the sales to get your fees back, or you'll be paying way more than you should be. In future, don't relist a sold item. You have sold 125 items, you should know what you are doing by now.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The first 'buyer' didn't pay and was offering less than sale price. 

They didn't pay, so there was no transaction and therefore can't leave feedback.

You have someone who's paid full asking price - I'd go with that one.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Forget my advice - Sons 'n' daughters is 100% right - sorry

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Well - unless the OP has 2 of the same items. lol

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply