Second seller account .

Hi I was wanting some advice fom the experienced multi account holders on here.I would like to open another seller acc as rarely get promotional offers and have a lot of clothes I sell for myself and others.Just wondering about the pros and cons of doing it ,will I only be able to sell a certain amount and are there restrictions,I have had my other acc for many years and this is a hobby but am getting close to retirement so thought I might branch out.Any advise gratefully accepted.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Second seller account .

@thecatspjs wrote:

There are soooo many legitimate business reasons other than the "lights on lights off" theory that can account for sales and turnover plateauing. 

Sure some non-stores may seem to get more freebies, however all stores come with free listings every month, and are currently accessing the doubling of these free listings for several months.

OP depending on the value of the goods you are selling the reduced final value fees for a store can more than make up for having to pay for additional listings - it certainly does for me on all store IDs.  

I agree with you on this cats, but we are not talking about plateauing. We are talking about sales being consistent to within 2% of a set figure EVERY SINGLE MONTH, come rain, shine, hail, Christmas, elections whatever.

This just does not happen in an unregulated retail enviroment. I know, I have owned B & M stores for more than 20 years. It also does not happen on our non store ebay account. Monthly figures on this account are all over the place depending on the time of year, the products we list, the effort we put in  and the general ecenomic climate.

I appreciate that not all stores are affected by these "regular, consistent sales figures" and it is very hard for those not affected to understand the implications.

The implications for me are that I am unable to grow sales and have had to find another occupation. The upside is that I have a set figure that I can reliably budget on recieving each month from ebay sales. I KNOW I will recieve $XXXX dollars each month and plan bill payments etc. around it.

Like all things on ebay, one persons experiences are not the same as someone elses. All you can do is take an over view of everyones thoughts and experiences and use this to plan a business model that suits your own personel circumstances.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Reaching a certain sales level, and not being able to achieve additional growth is indeed plateauing.

If you have achieved consistency at a certain level of sales on an ID, that is in itself, I think is pretty great on this platform. 

Opening an additional ID seems to have worked for you though - so you are actually experiencing growth on eBay.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I'm not sure how much of a consideration this would (or should) be for anyone else, but one of the reasons I stopped listing items for sale on this account was due to eBay's defect system, which affects all associated accounts. Because this account would have a very low sales volume compared to my store account, it would only take 2 issues with this one (more specifically, cases closed without seller resolution), to put it (and therefore my main account) at risk of being shut down, which I find an unacceptable risk in spite of it being relatively low. 

As in, it's not that I would expect there to be issues, and I do know there are a couple of ways that risk can be mitigated if they do occur (i.e. at a loss), but since they would have actually only been personal items, I ultimately decided to to keep my selling activities to the one eBay account, where - if it ever becomes necessary - I can take a defect without my account status suddenly becoming a major concern. 

If I was to start selling on another account, I would take it a bit slow so I can try to build up some sales history and create something of a buffer zone, if you will.  

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for the advice.I am wondering am I allowed to put in my listings on the second acc that I have another acc that buyers can look at.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply