Sellers Beware - Outrageous Estimated Delivery Date

This one takes the cake.  Received an eBay message this afternoon at 4.12pm advising an Item I ordered has been sent and the Estimated delivery date is Thursday 8th October - MAGIC !!  Smiley LOL

I don't usually take any notice of their messages regarding delivery - now I wonder how often my buyers receive messages similar to this & what date will appear when they leave Feedback and are asked, 'Did your item arrive before such & such a date'  ?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Sellers Beware - Outrageous Estimated Delivery Date

@mbselections00 wrote:

At the end of the day, I'm the one leaving the Feedback - not eBay

Quite a pertinent point, all things considered - the shipping metric does nothing but compoud an eBay-created problem IMHO. I had my fingers crossed that when you went to leave feedback, the date on the question would have been updated appropriately. Disappointed (but not surprised) it wasn't. 😕 

@tippy, not answering the question doesn't count against the seller; or it won't when the metric has been fully implemented.

If the buyer answers the question with a 'No', it can, and will if there is no tracking info to show either the seller posted within their handling time, or the item did arrive by eBay's ETA. 

Every yes is a 'plus'; every no (with no shipping info to counter it) is a 'minus', and a non-answer isn't counted. So, theoretically every yes counts, because it will help keep the seller's ratio of yes : no within eBay's acceptable range. 

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@mbselections00 wrote:

At the end of the day, I'm the one leaving the Feedback - not eBay

Quite a pertinent point, all things considered - the shipping metric does nothing but compoud an eBay-created problem IMHO. I had my fingers crossed that when you went to leave feedback, the date on the question would have been updated appropriately. Disappointed (but not surprised) it wasn't. 😕 

@tippy, not answering the question doesn't count against the seller; or it won't when the metric has been fully implemented.

If the buyer answers the question with a 'No', it can, and will if there is no tracking info to show either the seller posted within their handling time, or the item did arrive by eBay's ETA. 

Every yes is a 'plus'; every no (with no shipping info to counter it) is a 'minus', and a non-answer isn't counted. So, theoretically every yes counts, because it will help keep the seller's ratio of yes : no within eBay's acceptable range. 

Yes, I also thought the date would have been updated, thought it must have been some sort of glitch on the day, but alas no, which is why I thought I'd come back with an up-date.  Sad thing is, they actually sent the wrong item Smiley Sad so I haven't actually left Feedback yet - just wanted to check what date would actually appear.

It doesn't surprise me to see Sellers reaction to the 'delivered by - - - - ' question because we understand the ramifications, pity the majority of buyers probably don't Smiley Sad (unless they read the boards)

Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I've noticed that the delivery times are different on the site and the app? Maybe this is because I have a Russian phone (although it's set to AEST, so it shouldn't matter). Smiley Frustrated

All of the estimates on the app are 2 - 3 days sooner than on the site.

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I've noticed that the delivery times are different on the site and the app? Maybe this is because I have a Russian phone (although it's set to AEST, so it shouldn't matter). Smiley Frustrated

All of the estimates on the app are 2 - 3 days sooner than on the site.

Geee, what hope have we got ??  I'm too old fashioned to use the app on the phone, I have once or twice just to see what listings look like, but I hate using my phone for anything other than phone calls & texts Smiley LOL (It all looks too small to me, even with my glasses on !)  But I'm sure most of the younger eBay users would use their phones, I know my daughter uses her phone for everything including eBay - so that is extremely unfair.

As someone suggested earlier - it's like they are setting us up to fail (or words to that affect)

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

@dave4110 wrote:

What I don't get is why eBay keeps making postage time a seller metric? It's highly dependent on Aus Post, and there isn't much a seller could do except post the item within the specified handling time. Since items are posted with tracking, it'll be easy for eBay to look the tracking details and work out when the item was posted, and when it was delivered, so they don't even need to ask the buyer as part of their feedback. I just left feedback as a buyer for an item I bought, and that "Did you received by XYZ date" question in the feedback threw me as I can't remember when I received it.

Not all items are posted with tracking, indeed a significant percentage aren't. Mine run close to 50%.

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

Likewise here, most of mine go as Large Letters / padded envelopes - perhaps only10% Registered & 1 or 2% Registered International or Express, it would be unrealistic to send everything Registered, and anyway, I'm sure 99.9% of buyers would contact the seller one way or another if they were concerned about the delivery time.  

I just cannot see the need for even asking the question, other than creating another opportunity to defect the seller, even though the buyer may have no intention of doing so - like leaving  'Neutral' 3 Stars Smiley Surprised

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

bought a pillow 2 days ago (12 Oct) and got this: Estimated delivery Thu, 12 Nov - Tue, 05 Jan

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

And this relates to the pre-COVID situation FIVE YEARS ago, how?

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

They must have done a search to see if a specific topic was already created and didn't notice the date.  Easy to do when stressed out.

I sent a parcel to NZ exactly one month ago and it just arrived today.  Everything's just really different right now.

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

They must have.

Given the topic they dredged up was in 'selling' rather than 'buying' where their complaint might have some traction. If it wasn't five years old.

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply