Sellers: How do you respond to " item not received " ???

Most sellers like myself need futher advice / examples on how to respond with claims " items not received "

as we are not certain if buyers are genuine or not.  My seed items are only small $$ and purchased  as singles

most of the times. Larger quantities are sent with tracking....with no recourse from buyer.

Thanking your responses in advance...Poppy.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Sellers: How do you respond to " item not received " ???

I always take a photo of item stamped and with the receipt for smaller items.

I have won PayPal claims by sending them the photo.

But it's not always they will see in your favour using this method.

I think a lot has to do with how one responds or presents the case.

(Give as many facts as you can)

image host
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

If you are not talking big dollars, ask them to wait X amount of time to allow for any postal delay, then get back to you. if still no show then resend.

There will be a minority who may try it on, but if you question the integrity of honest buyers out of this fear, you may loose good repeat buyers.

Its a risk you take when you send non trackable.This is often just a calculated risk, as to do otherwise makes it too expensive.

Dont get too petty over small amounts, it will make you look unprofessional

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

as suggested, I always take a photo of any mail items.

Then if I get a not received question - first I send them the photo of the envelope, and ask them to confirm that it is the right address.   And if it is the right address, ask if they have or will check with their post office in case the PO has it.

Some sellers ask for a stat dec, but I don't think this achieves anything and might get the buyer's back up..   Sometimes I ask them to send me a formal email with their name and address on it explaining that I need to enclose it with any claim at the PO.

And then, basically - if it is still lost, refund.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

We don't take photos but other wise pretty much as you said is what we do.

We also let them know that we will be filing an Australia Post missing article report which enables them to investigate the case looking for weaknessses in their delivery system. And that it is possible that they may be contacted during the investigation.

In about 50% of cases after we mention this the item mysteriously shows up next day.

But in the end we always send out a replacement if we het past this point.

We also leave a follow-up comment against the feedback we left for the buyer that says:

"Replacement sent for item reported lost in post (date)."

This way any other seller that the buyer also claims INR can see a track history of INR and this may flag a problem buyer.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Nice to know Paypal are so gullible. I can now start building up my criminal empire by photographing a parcel ready to post and then  telling the buyer it has been sent and providing the photo as proof. As a good house brick can last for a goodly number of years even outside exposed to the weather I should have a business that can be handed down through several generations!

Seriously I almosr always use tracked postage but for the odd thing I send as a large letter whith a value that doesn't merit registration I just ask them to wait a few more days, to ask at their PO in case for some reason it is there and reassure them that if it hasn't turned up in X days I will refund or replace, whichever I choose.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

If you do resend items try sending c/- thier local post office as 'travellers mail'.  Then in reply to buyer advise that they will need to pick up from local post office whilst investigation is underway.  You will be suprised how many come back in to you... costs you postage but gets the product back to you.

Lindy
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I simply never, ever, ever send a parcel without tracking.  Seeing as a purchaser of a $1 item's negative feedback stands up as strong as a $1000 item buyer's negative feedback, I always sell things with a bit more expensive postage so we have tracking.  We might lose a few sales here and there by our postage being a couple bucks dearer than some others, but if it's going to save a world of stress, then so be it.  If an item is so cheap and it's unjustifiable to charge a certain amount for postage on it as then the sales will never be made, maybe off-eBay selling would be better.

As soon as you upload tracking numbers Paypal automatically errs on the side of favour of the seller (it's all mentioned in Paypal's Seller Protection policy), as the seller has done everything possible to protect themselves and provide a safe, secure way of getting a parcel to someone.  Posting something without tracking is not doing everything possible to ensure this.

amxsuperstores - Australia's three largest motorcycle accessories superstores.
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Nice to know Paypal are so gullible. I can now start building up my criminal empire by photographing a parcel ready to post and then  telling the buyer it has been sent and providing the photo as proof.

I have never attempted or needed to supply a photo as 'proof of posting' (yet) but I regularly photograph items that are ready to

be sent. It is a fast/easy/cheap means of keeping a record of the item: of the address and of the packaging used. You may just need this info to lodge an investigation through Australia Post if the item is lost or delayed. I can think of scenarios where the contents have fallen out of a package or the address has worn off, a photo might help fill in the pieces...

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I do the same as other posters with the photo of the addressed satchel & tracking number.I put the tracking no. sticker on my buyer details sheet & keep it a while.

Only once has a parcel gone missing.Tracking numer showed it had been delivered,so i checked my photo of the parcel.Turns out i had written the wrong house number,much to my surprise.The buyer had thought it had just gone missing,she was a sweetie.I told her of my mistake,gave her a full refund & apologies.

So i felt kind of better that it was my mistake,not a fake missing item thing.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply