Sellers claiming item badly packaged

Hi all,

I am increasingly recieving buyers complaining

* that their items were badly packaged & they want compensation

* that items were missing from their parcel when I know 100% it was there upon sending

I take photos of the way all of my items are packaged prior to sending & have excellent feedback about the way I package. 

I'm happy to deal with buyers who have genuine concerns, but I feel like it's becoming a scam when they don't send photogrpahic evidence & threaten to leave negative feedback if they don't get compensated. I put 110% into all of my packaging (wrapping in tissue then carboard or box then bubble wrap then brown paper with heavy duty tape before a satchel) so am very suprised when I have been receiving a spate of these compalints.

Has anyone else had similar issues? 

TIA 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I get claims of missing items quite frequently. A rare few are genuine - I take photos of everything along with the addressed package, so can confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt what was sent. I send the photos to the buyers as well, and usually never hear from them again.

For sus damage claims, I insist on refund on return only, using the reasoning that I need to send them to my supplier for a credit.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I think you can insist on photos. Also feedback extortion (threatening to leave negatives) is against eBay rules. Tell them you are going to report them for this.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It seems that you mean your buyers are claiming your items are badly packaged, not your sellers.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

We just had an idiot or should I say buyer say the same thing...firstly she claimed the CD cases were broken, then in a separate email after I questioned her said they in fact weren't broken but the inlay trays were missing....WRONG checked them before they left. Currently have an open return and negative feedback. Worst part is one ebay customer service member said I was in the right....then one yesterday said the complete opposite.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I get claims of missing items quite frequently. A rare few are genuine - I take photos of everything along with the addressed package, so can confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt what was sent. I send the photos to the buyers as well, and usually never hear from them again.

For sus damage claims, I insist on refund on return only, using the reasoning that I need to send them to my supplier for a credit.
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I think you can insist on photos. Also feedback extortion (threatening to leave negatives) is against eBay rules. Tell them you are going to report them for this.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you for correcting me 🙂

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It seems that you mean your buyers are claiming your items are badly packaged, not your sellers.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

"I think you can insist on photos."

Indeed you can...the buyer/scammer is not required to provide any.

" Tell them you are going to report them for this."

I prefer to box clever...save the messages for if/when the neg comes...never show your cards to a shakedown artist.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

"Has anyone else had similar issues? "

Very,very few.

I never ask for photos or engage in back & forth dialogue.

My reply..."Sorry to hear you have an issue with your item.Please return for a full refund."

Rinse & repeat as necessary.

Most go radio silent.

Only had two return...after picking the eyes out the item...fortunately I self insure...called cookie jar insurance in the US

I firmly belive that sellers need to accept that not every transaction will go smoothly & need to allow for shrinkage,on line shoplifting...call it what you will.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

nuways33
Community Member

I sold a new dvd sealed, byer claimed the dvd was missing, ask me what's the story, I told him I bought it this way from the store and I sold it the same way now you tell me what the story is! Didn't hear anything back from him.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply