Sellers who put barely anything in their descriptions

I have noticed so many clothing sellers just using the brief default blurb in their descriptions, and basically providing no information about their items at all. Some don't even include the size!

I am frustratingly aware of how easy it is these days for buyers to get an automatic refund even if the seller does not provide refunds, simply by lodging an item not as described case.

Sooo...I was wondering, just out of interest, if these sellers are omitting almost all details of their items to avoid having these cases lodged against them. If they don't describe the item, then technically how can a buyer say the item was not as described?

Does that make any sense, or have I just gone even more insane? lol
Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

If you are insane, then so am I!

I deal mainly with books and it drives me mad that the description is the the automatic blurb, which tells anyone nothing.

Quite often, it is also a stock photo, which shows nothing but a brand new book.

Frustration and insanity combined!!!

I refuse to buy from these type of sellers (and I am mainly a seller) because of the lack of information and photos.

Message 2 of 57
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I particularly like the ones (yes, more than one)  that state -

"Look at the picture - that's the description"

Or, condition is 'good'

What the heck is 'good'?

Message 3 of 57
Latest reply

I think it's great?

Message 4 of 57
Latest reply

Mostly the ones who say it's 'good' are the ones that are selling a piece of poo  when

you look closely.

"Good' is subjective.

Message 5 of 57
Latest reply

Even better is "in good condition for its age".

Oh, and the "photo is the description" but photos are tiny and you can only get a general idea of what the item is, not its condition.

Message 6 of 57
Latest reply

The short descriptions in clothing that I have seen, those that say "pictures form a part of description" all had sizes, and also sizes in the label pictures.

Some also had measurements as well.

As for Good, very good, excellent, new... for condition, ask Ebay, isn't that something chosen by them, and when one clicks on those, it gives explanation what that condition means.

I am only guessing here (after reading so many complaints from buyers  on these forums) that sellers don't at every minute detail, every thread - no need really as  the pictures are in the listing, item is used, not brand new - and shouldn't be expected to be so perfect - otherwise it would be new and sold at retail prices. 

Short of some very significant damage that would render the item unusable, all the rest is easy to fix: If it's dirty - wash it, if the button is missing - replace it, if the hem is hanging - stitch it up... any of the minor bits & pieces - all these sort of buyers just bother the sellers for  no good reasons while forgetting the stuff they are buying is used.

And finally - on a used item - no matter how detailed condition is, anyone can always find something "that wasn't mentioned". Nature of used things, we all look at them with different eyes. It is a fact that a group of people being shown a same item will  all have a different opinion about it's condition.

So, I think maybe it is deliberate,  short descriptions, the less they say the better - otherwise they'll have a whole page of condition, describing something inch by inch!

Message 7 of 57
Latest reply

I wasn't referring to clothing.

Message 8 of 57
Latest reply

A lot of secondhand clothes would be as new. A lot shouldn't even be sold unless they're very close to new condition.
Message 9 of 57
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Mostly the ones who say it's 'good' are the ones that are selling a piece of poo  when

you look closely.

"Good' is subjective.

If you use the quick listing tool, you don't get an option to elucidate the condition so it shows at the top of the listing. You can definitely provide a proper description, but we know how many buyers read those.

Message 10 of 57
Latest reply