Sellers who refuse to send items to PO Box.

Due to so much mail theft and identity theft, both Australia Post and the Police advise people to get a Post Office Box for safety and security. Then WHY do so many Ebay sellers now say they refuse to deliver to a post office box? 

A few years ago, I had some very important mail stolen from my home address mail box. Why? I had an Australia Post approved mail box, but mail delivery people would always leave mail half out of the (spring loaded) mail flap. When I complained to Aust Post I was told this rediculous reason - 'delivery people will not use 2 hands to put mail in boxes'. To put mail into my box you need one hand to prise open the strong flap (strong so as to stop people putting their hand in) and other hand to put the mail in. But our dear posties will only deliver mail with ONE hand. So they leave mail hanging through the slit. I was told that if I wanted to get my mail securely, to get a Post Office box. So I did.

So now many Ebay sellers will not deliver mail to my post office box 'due to security reasons'. HOW? WHY? When I go to my post office box I have to sign for many items. And as my work sees me away from home for many days at a time, I know my mail is held safely. Many items I buy from Ebay don't need to be signed for - so why can't they go to a safe post office box? What annoys me is that if I do give my home address, and I do need to sign for the item - if I am not home, they leave a card. And I have to drive down to the SAME post office where by box is, and wait in the queue for nearly 20 minutes, just to sign for the parcel. Something I would have to do if it was sent to my PO Box!! My incoming mail is FAR more secure sitting at my post box.

Also, my brother works doing FIFO in very remote sites. These sites do not have physical addresses - all goods go to a box at the nearest local post office. He is finding it increasingly hard to get things sent to him due to this silly seller requirement. Alot of sellers will lose buyers with this rediculous request. I can understand if a buer has nil or low feedback count, but with well established, good reputable buyers, why the problem?Cat Sad

Message 1 of 130
Latest reply
129 REPLIES 129

Re: Sellers who refuse to send items to PO Box.

@attic-case wrote:

Do what l do, on my Buying id. l enquire first if the said Buyer will ship
to my PO Box, if so no problem. IF NOT, then a little reminder that
"their" Courier still goes to a roadside address, same as a house, so what is the difference. Better for the Sender 100% signature at the PO Front Counter, not like "no one home".

A reminder of my ability to leave fair and just Feedback, usually turns a no, into yes we can, ...from prospective Seller. WORKS FOR ME.

if I did have "will not post to PO Boxes" as part of my listings and a buyer messaged me and asked if I would reconsider AND remind me that couriers would deliver to a PO Front Counter AND remind me of their ability to leave fair and just feedback then they would not get to bid or buy my item as I would put them on my BBL before replying with a "Sorry, but NO".

If they didn't like my reply and tried to buy from me they would fail.  A buyer who 'appears' troublesome before they even bid or buy would go straight to my BBL.  A buyer "reminding" me about stuff just wouldn't sit right with me.  I might consider "reminding" them that trying to circumvent a seller's block is against eBay rules and that they have been blocked . . . . WORKS FOR ME

Message 31 of 130
Latest reply

I have been with eBay for over 12 years, and seen people come and go off these boards. 
Seen them come, & seen them go, and guess what, ...tomorrow is another day. I spend my $'s where l choose. Have a nice day.

Message 32 of 130
Latest reply

You might try putting your glasses on. Then you would see that it's 'sLr', like the camera.

You certainly haven't been on the boards under this ID for 12 years, and seem not to post much - 18 in 5 years. If your posts in this thread are indicative of your general attitude, that is understandable.

And whilst you might watch, you don't seem to feel the need to provide helpful or germane advice.

Message 33 of 130
Latest reply

I have to agree with sir sales - if a buyer contacted me and mentioned feedback as a means to sway me from my standard business practices (which they have no right to do, so I fail to see how mentioning "fair and just" feedback to get what you want is actually "fair and just"), they'd be on my BBL too. 

For me, it's about respect. I will accommodate buyers needs and requests to the best of my ability, but I won't compromise on things that are important or necessary just because someone mentions feedback - if I did, I would be letting a complete stranger have control over - and make decisions for - my business, and I just don't roll that way. Not now, not ever.

BTW, I live in suburban Adelaide, 5 minutes away from a business centre, and the only courier that has been able to deliver to my PO box is DHL.

Message 34 of 130
Latest reply

Maybe we could swap glasses davewil, l NEVER SAID or WROTE that l have been on eBay.com.au UNDER my current id. for the said 12 years.

I have a Selling Account, a Buying Account, & a This & That Item Account.

Like l said before, Seen them come & Seen them Go off these Boards, when your time is up, OFF YOU WILL GO !!!!!

Most of us have a Life outside of eBay, some do not, judging by your comments to other good eBayer's on these Boards, l think l know which category you are in. Have a Great Night, stuck on your keyboard.

Message 35 of 130
Latest reply

digital*ghost, Yes fair comments, l think some persons have twisted the original post to incorporate other agendas.

I remember you very well, bought items off you about 3 years ago, you posted then to my PO Box on the ****side of the City. No problems, good sale, good purchase, and gave you 5 *****.
How is the PC Digital Programs going ??? All Good l hope.
Message 36 of 130
Latest reply

@attic-case wrote:
digital*ghost, Yes fair comments, l think some persons have twisted the original post to incorporate other agendas.

I remember you very well, bought items off you about 3 years ago, you posted then to my PO Box on the ****side of the City. No problems, good sale, good purchase, and gave you 5 *****.
How is the PC Digital Programs going ??? All Good l hope.

Sorry, but I think you have me confused with someone else - I've sold a few things on this ID, mostly just media items (CDs, DVDs), but that's the closest I get to dealing with digital stuff (my ID name is just a dual reference to  an artist / "ghost in the machine"). 

I use AP for all my posting, so am personally more than happy to post to PO boxes as I know the mail will be relatively secure, but I think it's fair to respect the business decisions of others and not try to get them to make exceptions under what could be perceived as a threat - if someone asks whether I'll do something which I don't usually do, then there's a better chance of us reaching a mutually beneficial agreement if there's no 'or else' kind of statement hanging over my head. 😉

Message 37 of 130
Latest reply

@attic-case wrote:
Maybe we could swap glasses davewil, l NEVER SAID or WROTE that l have been on eBay.com.au UNDER my current id. for the said 12 years.

I have a Selling Account, a Buying Account, & a This & That Item Account.

Like l said before, Seen them come & Seen them Go off these Boards, when your time is up, OFF YOU WILL GO !!!!!

Most of us have a Life outside of eBay, some do not, judging by your comments to other good eBayer's on these Boards, l think l know which category you are in. Have a Great Night, stuck on your keyboard.

That's the point, though. When my time is up it will be voluntary. And not because I am a lurker who ocassionally deigns to post misinformation.

i find the eBay boards a refreshing interlude between listing. In the evenings, as I work 7 days a week on top of this.

Message 38 of 130
Latest reply

attic, the main part of your post that I take issue with is the thinly veiled 'threat' about fair and just feedback leading to a 'no' usually being changed to a "yes we can".  I have taken the liberty of highlighting that part of your post below:

@attic-case wrote:
A reminder of my ability to leave fair and just Feedback, usually turns a no, into yes we can, ...from prospective Seller. WORKS FOR ME.

Your post was well written, for the most part.  You posted information in support of your position that couriers can and do deliver to PO Boxes via a PO Counter.  It was the latter part of your post that 'troubles' me, and that is what I replied to.  Some of my post has been edited out . . .  and in the part that was removed I said that your post was well written and presented.  Maybe it was my use of your words (caps and all)  "WORKS FOR ME" after letting you know that I had put you on my BBL because your attitude was a concern to me that caused the edit by a moderator.  If that part of my post caused you any offence then all I can say is "sorry, but it's the way I feel".

I don't have an agenda, I call it as I see it.  You didn't elaborate on who you thought had twisted your post but I hope you don't think I twisted your post to suit an agenda.

Message 39 of 130
Latest reply

As of Jan 2014, first class standard letter to post to anywhere in the US via USPS is 49 US cents....a postcard 44 US cents.

Just thought you'd like to know how far your letter will go for less than AU 70 cents.....in reply to previous poster - apologies if a bit off topic....

"Purr more. Hiss less."
Message 40 of 130
Latest reply