Sellers with high postage

I see people selling small items for say $30 with a large postage cost of like $500 (item located locally) which I think should  not be allowed , its almost ripping people off, I know you dont have to buy it but even if its worth $500+ if it was faulty then they only have to say they have no more stock and only have to back the $30 and keep the $500 postage as they dont have to reimbust the postage?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

eBay used to charge you a fee of just 7.9% on the item and nothing on the shipping. That's why you wuould see items listed for $20 with $400 shipping.

eBay changed this to charging us 9.9% on the price of the item AND the shipping. Maybe some people don't realise it''s changed. 😄 

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Report the item in question.  I believe there is still a requirement for sellers to charge reasonable postage, regardless of whether eBay collect fees on postage or not.  And what you are suggesting could be an underhanded way of sellers getting out of refunding full amount for faulty goods.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

@taipan_qld wrote:

if it was faulty then they only have to say they have no more stock and only have to back the $30 and keep the $500 postage as they dont have to reimbust the postage?

Both eBay and PayPal's buyer protections include the original postage cost when dealing with a faulty item. I'm not sure what amount eBay would refund if a change of mind return was accepted and eBay had to force the refund, I have a sneaking suspicion it would be the entire amount, less any restocking fee the seller had in place (which, aside from not being implemented on the Oz site, can't be any more than something like 15% or 20% of the item price, so max the seller could keep on a $30 item is $6). 

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

@beautbots01 wrote:

Report the item in question.  I believe there is still a requirement for sellers to charge reasonable postage, regardless of whether eBay collect fees on postage or not.  And what you are suggesting could be an underhanded way of sellers getting out of refunding full amount for faulty goods.

Or better still, call ebay directly and report it. Reporting an item IMO is a waste of time !  Nothing ever seems to be done ? 

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

The most effective sanction is just to not buy from them, not because of the high postage cost but because they are obviously grade 1 numpties.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

The most effective sanction is just to not buy from them, not because of the high postage cost but because they are obviously grade 1 numpties.

There are unfortunately new buyers who are lulled by these type of  "cheap buys"  so to do nothing is allowing it to continue.  

Or, like Sweet Bea suggests, you can stick your head in the sand and do nothing.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

$500 for postage is very unreasonable cost for $20 item but please keep in mind that it is not only postage cost, it is Shipping and Handling.

There may be an item that requires to be packed in a secure way, may be a seller needs to build a wooden crate or even a box for it.

That may take a lot of time and material. 

I pack my big products on an MDF panels and wrap them in a few layers of cardboard. Only material cost for some of them can be up to $10 not to mention that it can take 10-30 minutes to pack. Would it be unreasonable if I charged extra $10 for packing?

And yet I charge only $3-4 for packing no mater if I can pack it in a stock box or in custom made packing.    

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Its marketing only.

If its faulty you get full postage refund

If its change of mind they are not obliged to refund.

If it genuinely was worth $30, you wouldnt sell it if it cost $500 to ship, as the profit vs $ at risk factor is too high. These days with ebays buyer return policy you always risk loosing initial shipping cost as a minimum if buyer raised not as described claim

Hence the only reason is to catch your eye and make you look at the listing. Often these stores have the same item properly priced. If you then buy the reasonably priced one, the dodgy one worked by grabbing your attention.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@taipan_qld wrote:

I see people selling small items for say $30 with a large postage cost of like $500 (item located locally) which I think should  not be allowed , its almost ripping people off, I know you dont have to buy it but even if its worth $500+ if it was faulty then they only have to say they have no more stock and only have to back the $30 and keep the $500 postage as they dont have to reimbust the postage?

gotta luv the report report report daleks

(item located locally)

Maybe the seller does not know how to list an item as local pick up only and the item is delicate or maybe an unusual

shape and they would prefer not to post it so they have listed the item with skyhigh postage to discourage distance

purchase.

I SEE THAT WITH LARGER CAR PARTS A LOT.........

@20kgs of feathers @ $1 per kg would require two pallet spaces to freight at $220 a pallet space and a forklift to,load

same

Did you ask the seller/s whether you could pick up the "small" item  and thereby negating postage costs?

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply