Selling CDs $10.00 and under - EBAYs new tracking number initiative..

I sell a lot of CDs that are around $10.00 sometimes less... We have tracking numbers on items over $20.00. but not on items under $20... We sell hundreds of CDs a month and very rarely have issues with items that do not arrive... if a CD without tracking does not arrive we refund the buyer..

EBAY has a new tracking initiative that seems will greatly disadvantage my business... as the cheapest option for posting CDs through Australia Post is $4.50 with tracking which is double what we currently pay for postage.. EBAY is saying that businesses that do not upload tradcking will be put lower in searches etc... 

Is there anyone else out there in the same / similar boat? how are you looking to deal with these coming changes? I may be mis-reading or misinterperating the notice.. ??

I would appreciate any replies on the matter

Cheers

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Yep, the only way is to change your selling structure - add the extra cost to the CD

Or maybe look at promotional selling - Say a CD for $15.00 and purchase another for X$$ to get the cost up and cover the fees for both pstage and fvf etc

Just a thought, A lot buyers might be happy with a discount like that.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I'm in a small category, selling a lot of items for $2 or so.

So are the majority of sellers in this same category.

We know the collectors will not pay for parcel post - or even registered post.

Some even send cranky messages asking why the postage is so dear, when it's only $1.10 to post a letter.

If they penalise all of us with putting us lower in searches....then it's status quo isn't it?

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

I'm in a small category, selling a lot of items for $2 or so.

So are the majority of sellers in this same category.

We know the collectors will not pay for parcel post - or even registered post.

Some even send cranky messages asking why the postage is so dear, when it's only $1.10 to post a letter.

If they penalise all of us with putting us lower in searches....then it's status quo isn't it?

Yes, the competition will be in the same boat, search-wise IF buyers search for lowest first, and are savvy enough to navigate the further bit at the top of the page saying they've blanked out some listings.

But in the Autumn News, they are now saying that in the 2nd half of the year, they will further penalise non-trackers by delaying their payments.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

How long a delay?   It would be against some law ,surely, to delay any more than the 21 day hold currently in place?

As long as the payment comes through, there's nothing anyone can do.  We have to live with it.

Buyers simply will not pay any more for postage.  It's letter rate or buy elsewhere.

If there are sales every day, then the delay should not be noticeable IMO

I send with tracking when a buyer spends $50

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Yes, I will live with it, and see it as an opportunity if competitors decide they can't.

I certainly won't be doubling the price of my sub-$2 items.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

joz15au
Community Member
It says: "If you don't upload valid tracking on a trackable postage service, you may see your listing affected in search and/or your payments being delayed." Wouldn't that mean if you have selected the Australia Post untracked letter option in your listing that it is not a trackable postage service and therefore it wouldn't apply? That's how I interpreted it. If that's not correct then they should take the untracked option away.
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

That's your choice either post with tracking and stay in view of buyers or post without tracking and lights out and delay in payment.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@vinylspacerecords wrote:

EBAY is saying that businesses that do not upload tradcking will be put lower in searches etc... 

That was my first interpretation from the update, but on reflection and properly digesting the wording, I'm not so sure...

The quote I read is "If you don't upload valid tracking on a trackable postage service, you may see your listing affected in search and/or your payments being delayed."

Taken literally, this implies if you list with a trackable service and don't upload tracking, it will affect search rankings and / or payments, but doesn't necessarily mean if you list with an untracked postage service, the same will occur.

It's the bit that comes before it that implies they will be trying to shift everyone over to tracking, though:

"In the second half of the year, eBay will be taking extra measures to ensure tracking is available on most transactions"

hmm

In the US, you can't be a TRS unless you upload tracking to 95% of orders, I think, so they might be going down that road. 

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply