Selling Cacti and Succulent from Perth

Hi... I'm hoping somebody can shed some light.

I'm in Perth and I was thinking of selling cacti and succulents on eBay.

I then found out that I may not be able to due to restrictions because of disease, and is also dependent on which state I'm sending to etc... so I decided to go to the post office to inquire.

Today at the PO I handed over two plant names and asked if I could the specific plants to Victoria (because somebody through another source asked if I could send some to them), either with roots but no soil, or just cuttings without the roots.  I was told that 'it should be fine'.... but they also wrote down the number for Australia Post to confirm.

I came home and phoned the AP number and I couldn't believe that the person I spoke to (although he was very nice and pleasant) couldn't tell me much, apart from reading me their blurb about how plants can carry diseases and there would be a hefty fine if I tried to send them and how I'd need the plants to be certified before sending and so on, then gave me the phone number for the Department of Agriculture to steer me in the right direction!  Aaarrgh!  It was frustrating to say the least.

Has anybody dealt with this before?  I see plenty of cacti and succulent listings, so do they have to have a plant certified each time to send it or what's the deal?

I said to myself,
Self, I said...
Cheer up, things could get worse,
So I cheered up and sure enough,
Things got worse.
Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

As a GENERAL guide,its sending plants INTO WA thats the problem-not so much posting OUT of.

Ring Perth quarantine & give them the botanical names-they will be able to tell you if you are prohibited from posting to any particular states.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Also with some of the other listings you have seen, send the seller a message and ask how they are permitted to send and whether their plants are certified to post. (Not telling them you may sell)

image host
Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

as the fox said, it is quarantine matter, not AP.  I doubt AP staff would be reliable source of info about that.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Not only were AP unhelpful, but so was quarantine.

Firstly I just spent nearly 20 mins waiting in queue and then when a very 'relaxed' man took my call, he passed on another number for quarantine. 

So the number I phoned from the actual Perth Quarantine website wasn't enough?  Oh boy...   I think I will just have to put that idea in the 'too hard' trash bin.  :_|

I said to myself,
Self, I said...
Things got worse.
Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

Now there's a helpful idea kopenhagen 5.  I just might try that.  😄

I said to myself,
Self, I said...
Things got worse.
Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Not only were AP unhelpful, but so was quarantine.

Firstly I just spent nearly 20 mins waiting in queue and then when a very 'relaxed' man took my call, he passed on another number for quarantine. 

So the number I phoned from the actual Perth Quarantine website wasn't enough?  Oh boy...   I think I will just have to put that idea in the 'too hard' trash bin.  :_|

You really should persist-its not that hard lol

Google something like 'posting plants from WA to other states' & see what the search shows you.

Re the 20 minute wait,thats ridiculous.I used to ring Brisbane quarantine on a regular basis re what plant seeds I could buy from overseas & they were EXTREMELy quick,very friendly & very helpful.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

You should be able to get a list of noxious weeds from the web site of each State Agriculture Dept.

They are the best source of what can be imported into each state.

Barrie

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Did you ring the Dept of Agriculture? I would have thought that would be the place to ask. Quarantine generally only concern themselves with incoming, not outgoing.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

seeminglysillystuff
Community Member

Well I'm still baffled.  LOL.

You are right... It shouldn't be that difficult! But it was today for me.  😞

As for waiting 20 mins in a queue... Must have caught them at a really busy time!

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply