Selling Cacti and Succulent from Perth

Hi... I'm hoping somebody can shed some light.

I'm in Perth and I was thinking of selling cacti and succulents on eBay.

I then found out that I may not be able to due to restrictions because of disease, and is also dependent on which state I'm sending to etc... so I decided to go to the post office to inquire.

Today at the PO I handed over two plant names and asked if I could the specific plants to Victoria (because somebody through another source asked if I could send some to them), either with roots but no soil, or just cuttings without the roots.  I was told that 'it should be fine'.... but they also wrote down the number for Australia Post to confirm.

I came home and phoned the AP number and I couldn't believe that the person I spoke to (although he was very nice and pleasant) couldn't tell me much, apart from reading me their blurb about how plants can carry diseases and there would be a hefty fine if I tried to send them and how I'd need the plants to be certified before sending and so on, then gave me the phone number for the Department of Agriculture to steer me in the right direction!  Aaarrgh!  It was frustrating to say the least.

Has anybody dealt with this before?  I see plenty of cacti and succulent listings, so do they have to have a plant certified each time to send it or what's the deal?

I said to myself,
Self, I said...
Cheer up, things could get worse,
So I cheered up and sure enough,
Things got worse.
Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

seeminglysillystuff
Community Member

Goodness thank you go-tazz!

I have a good amount of info from lots of you to get stuck into now!

:-x

Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

seeminglysillystuff
Community Member

By the way....

Love your signature.  😄

Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

For a quick and easy reference try these sites:

http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/

http://www.biodiscovery.imb.uq.edu.au/Portals/52/oztravelguide.pdf

They basically give you teh same information.

Latest reply

seeminglysillystuff
Community Member

I'm a little dumb-founded that I haven't been successful with this....

I just phoned Quarantine and was told that the person I need to speak to is in a meeting, and they took down my number.  More waiting.  Fair enough... I've waited this long, a little more waiting ain't gonna hurt.  LOL.

Just venting here, folks.... nothing more.  ;\

Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

Im not sure how/where to raise this topic, but here goes. I'll get it off my chest and then calm down!
I am fed up with all those sellers who describe their common as muck plants as "Rare" Most of them are NOT, so please stop doing it and get over it. Secondly, professionalism. If you know anything about botany or horticulture, you will know how use and spell correctly a plant's generic and specific names (which part of the name to capitalise). Mistakes are understandable from amateurs, but when a seller purporting to be from what sounds like a professional nursery errs...come on, lift your game
Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

@anthostachys wrote:
Im not sure how/where to raise this topic, but here goes. I'll get it off my chest and then calm down!
I am fed up with all those sellers who describe their common as muck plants as "Rare" Most of them are NOT, so please stop doing it and get over it. Secondly, professionalism. If you know anything about botany or horticulture, you will know how use and spell correctly a plant's generic and specific names (which part of the name to capitalise). Mistakes are understandable from amateurs, but when a seller purporting to be from what sounds like a professional nursery errs...come on, lift your game

welcome to the discussion boards.  Just a tip for your future reference, just as you are fed up with the stuff you posted about SO TOO do posts added onto the end of a thread that do not add to the thread in any way.  Your post has nothing to do with the original post or anything that was added to it in January of this year.

"Im not sure how/where to raise this topic", so . . . . . . . start a thread of your own and canvass ideas about your topic without resurrecting an old/defunct thread.

Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

just as you are fed up with the stuff you posted about SO TOO do posts added onto the end of a thread that do not add to the thread in any way. 

should have been . . . . . . "just as you are fed up with the stuff you posted about, posts added onto the end of an old thread that do not add to the thread in any way annoys some forum members"

(I toned down edited the original sentence without reading it back before posting)

Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

Just remember that post from WA to the eastern states may as well come by camel it's so slow which might be why there are not a lot of sellers. You would need to post express.

Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

No mention in the resurrection post about location. I suspect they are not in WA, given the complaint is about sellers misspelling genera, etc. Not something that is restricted to plants, either.

I love the generic book info that shows the wrong author - knocks out all the mega dropshippers (and any of the smaller sellers who use catalog [sic] data) for anybody searching by title and author and leaves those of us who spend some time on our listings in the box seat.

There should be more of it. I encourage every bookseller to use the catalog [sic].

Edit: I am at a loss to understand why capitalisation is an issue - eBay's search engine (like most) ignores capitals. It's an AASCI thing - if the AASCI number is > 128 (?) then number is that  -128. Which is basically forced lower case and everybody is happy.

Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

You (as a seller) can post plants anywhere except Tasmania, and Northern Territory. - I live in Tasmania and have only found two sellers who provide a quarantine certificate for around $15 to post to here with no problems - They are Hamiltons_Cacti and Collectors Corner. - I can post plants from Tasmania without a certificate, but not to W.A,and  N.T - Very frustrating when you consider the amount of diseases brought into W.A, N.T and Tasmania on peoples shoes, car on boat (Tas) and so on - If plants are posted to Tasmania without a quarantine certificate, then they will be confiscated and either returned to seller or destroyed, plus maybe a heavy fine - I lost over $300 worth of succulents after one seller said he could post to here, and there are quite a few who get away with it - cheers, Rose

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply