Selling Cacti and Succulent from Perth

Hi... I'm hoping somebody can shed some light.

I'm in Perth and I was thinking of selling cacti and succulents on eBay.

I then found out that I may not be able to due to restrictions because of disease, and is also dependent on which state I'm sending to etc... so I decided to go to the post office to inquire.

Today at the PO I handed over two plant names and asked if I could the specific plants to Victoria (because somebody through another source asked if I could send some to them), either with roots but no soil, or just cuttings without the roots.  I was told that 'it should be fine'.... but they also wrote down the number for Australia Post to confirm.

I came home and phoned the AP number and I couldn't believe that the person I spoke to (although he was very nice and pleasant) couldn't tell me much, apart from reading me their blurb about how plants can carry diseases and there would be a hefty fine if I tried to send them and how I'd need the plants to be certified before sending and so on, then gave me the phone number for the Department of Agriculture to steer me in the right direction!  Aaarrgh!  It was frustrating to say the least.

Has anybody dealt with this before?  I see plenty of cacti and succulent listings, so do they have to have a plant certified each time to send it or what's the deal?

I said to myself,
Self, I said...
Cheer up, things could get worse,
So I cheered up and sure enough,
Things got worse.
Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

seeminglysillystuff
Community Member

I did find a list of permitted plants but next to each one, it stated to contact quarantine for more information.  I think it was around that time I started to stare at the wall in front of me, trying to register why it's all too difficult.  Haha.

Message 11 of 32
Latest reply

As a buyer only in NSW I often see "will not post to WA or Tasmania" in listings for both plants and seeds.

I don't think I have seen any located in WA stating they will not post to NSW.

Message 12 of 32
Latest reply

seeminglysillystuff
Community Member

That's exactly who made me wait in the queue for 20 mins today.  😞

I've decided not to give up too quickly now.... I will make another call tomorrow.

The dept of agriculture passed on another number which i will try tomorrow.

My brain is getting a good work out from this.... And I'm the type that hates talking on the phone (some kind of phobia?) so I will at least give myself a pat on the back for trying.

Message 13 of 32
Latest reply

seeminglysillystuff
Community Member

I've had a good look and noticed nobody is sending from Perth to other states.... And I've looked at a good amount of listings.

At this stage I'm going to assume that I can't, but I will still make another enquiry tomorrow....never know, I might get lucky.  🙂

Message 14 of 32
Latest reply

Do you have a cacti growers society in WA because the would probably know more than all the government agencies put together.

Message 15 of 32
Latest reply

This looks like a good website

www.cacti.com.au

You might find a bit of information on it.

Message 16 of 32
Latest reply

google Noxious Weeds List, this will give you web sight that you can input the Scientific  & Common names of the plant/s that you are interested in. So you can see if thery are prohibited in any state of Australia.

It also has a site map to the legislation/regulations for each state concerning prohibited plants.

Barrie

Message 17 of 32
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Try one of these maybe,:-D

Cactus & Succulent Society of Western Australia Inc 

348 Hardy Street
Cloverdale  WA  6105

Telephone: 08 9277 3924

Cactus & Succulent Society of Western Australia Inc