Selling Multiple Books by the Same Author - allowing buyer choice but not getting burnt on post

Hi Everyone, 

I have a bunch of books by the same authors (e.g. James Patterson) and usually I'd bulk them together in a listing (say 8 titles) - usually what happens is I'll get buyers message me saying "I want 6 of the titles listed but I already have 2 of them can I swap them out"  etc. 

So I tried using a variation listing - so sellers could make their choices and "theoretically "  I could combine them at the end. This way I could give choice to the consumer (a good thing) and not have the hassle of mix and matching listings.  So I structured it the following way - large PBK's were $5 each plus $9.60 post but if they purchased more than 1 book from me, I'd absorb the post.  So it was $9.60 for 1 or all 43 books listed,

I took this approach only to cover the issue of someone buying only  1 book . 

I made a graphic (see end of question  to explain the process. So far I have had only 3 buyers use this approach successfully (all have given glowing feedback) but  I have also lost a bunch of sales (where the books are in the buyers cart!) because of the steps required by the eBay system to combine post have confounded the buyer.

So my question is - is there a way I can allowing buyer choice in a way that's simple/intuitive (you know like on other webstores)  but not getting burnt on post if they only buy 1 book ?  Note I have reverted back to bulk listings...

Regards

Ebay Instructions 2022.png

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Selling Multiple Books by the Same Author - allowing buyer choice but not getting burnt on post

I don’t sell, but I do use the cart when buying. 
My most recent bulk purchase from the one seller, the cart automatically adjusted the postage and I didn’t have to contact the seller at all. Overall, postage ‘would have been over $60’ but because it was automatically adjusted in the cart, I only paid about $37. (Or there about)  and two items were large. 

So perhaps there is a setting you can adjust in the cart function so that your buyer will only pay a 

max of $9.80 or whatever costs you set. 
😌

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Selling Multiple Books by the Same Author - allowing buyer choice but not getting burnt on post

I’ve just had a look at your listings. 
Everyone one of them is listed with “free postage”…. So I’m a bit sidetracked with what you’re actually asking here? 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Hi Janeababe, 

thanks for having a look,  really apricate you taking the time. 

As I indicated in the message above, I've gone back to bulk listings purely because I was spending way too much time after work dealing with confused buyers or refunding postage. 

Below is an image of one of the original posts  - but the issue wasn't necessarily with the first page of the listing. The issue came at the back end  when (most) people: 

1. Couldn't find the request total  (for instance it's apparently doesn't  appear when using the eBay app...) 

2. Panicked as the post added up - sent me a panicked email and bailed from the purchase before I could send new invoice. 

3. sent me frustrated emails wanting to bypass this system and "just buy them"... 

Ebay multi example #1.pngEbay multi example #2.png

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Your listings are showing - FREE POSTAGE.

Screenshot_20220811-093037_Chrome.jpg

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Hi Domino-710, 

thanks for taking the time to answer - as already stated   in my other messages (above) 

I have reverted back to  a free post/bulk model so my current lists are not the issue - I'm trying to find a way to continue using variation/multi-purchases  without the issues I've outlined. What I have put up in images is  what I was (past tense) doing and would like to continue doing without the buyer confusion and hassle. 

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I would not ask the buyer to request a total from the Cart.  That means they are committed to the sale and no doubt the initial postage amount scares the off, plus they may decide to add a book or two before buying.

I'd suggest they got through Contact Seller (provide image or link so they know where to go) to request an invoice with the revised postage.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Hi zanadoo_56,

thanks, much appreciated

I’ll look into it

is there anyway of automating this process?

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I don’t sell, but I do use the cart when buying. 
My most recent bulk purchase from the one seller, the cart automatically adjusted the postage and I didn’t have to contact the seller at all. Overall, postage ‘would have been over $60’ but because it was automatically adjusted in the cart, I only paid about $37. (Or there about)  and two items were large. 

So perhaps there is a setting you can adjust in the cart function so that your buyer will only pay a 

max of $9.80 or whatever costs you set. 
😌

Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

So it can be done/?I thought there must be a way, now just got to find it. Thanks!

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Not with 'Contact Seller'. It means they contact you, you work out a price and post a listing for the required books at the agreed price. They buy and pay, you ship.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply