Selling fees are a joke & nothing short of thievery.

dmk212
Community Member

Sold $330 worth of items……received $285 by the time eBay took out their fees. Guess this billion dollar company is struggling though & needs to stick its filthy hands in the pockets of all us super rich sellers who can afford to take that kind of hit every time we sell something.

I was sure this was an error & contacted customer service (anyone who’s done that knows how infuriating that is) but nope, every time you sell something, except to relieve considerably less into your bank account.

Needless to say, I’ve pulled the rest of my listings & am closing my account. I’ll stick with gumtree.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Selling fees are a joke & nothing short of thievery.

@bmanly3 wrote:

Before I list anything I just do a quick calculation, gross sale price including postage minus 13.5% in fees and minus postage. Then there will be no surprises. GT is ok but you get a lot of time wasters (you know, the ones who message you at 1 am in the morning) who have no intention to buy. Or if they do want to buy, they want to knock down the price and meet face to face in a pandemic, no thanks.

Add to that list say they will pickup, and never turn up at the allotted time.

I have found FB marketplace even worse.

I think its a case of you get what you pay for, pay peanuts and get .........

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

your departure will be mourned

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

@dmk212 wrote:

* Doesn’t hide them.

if you’re going to try be a smart ass, try not having the grammar skills of a 5 year old.

I was going to ignore this, but it's Thursday, which is take the mickey day.   Before having a go at others,  maybe you would care to have a good look at your original post.  I won't make comparisons to your skill level,  I will leave that up to others..   LOL

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

'Take the Mickey Day'

Please, oh please, can we make that a thing?

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

@dmk212 wrote:

Sold $330 worth of items……received $285 by the time eBay took out their fees. Guess this billion dollar company is struggling though & needs to stick its filthy hands in the pockets of all us super rich sellers who can afford to take that kind of hit every time we sell something.

I was sure this was an error & contacted customer service (anyone who’s done that knows how infuriating that is) but nope, every time you sell something, except to relieve considerably less into your bank account.

Needless to say, I’ve pulled the rest of my listings & am closing my account. I’ll stick with gumtree.

It appears that a week later, you may have forgotten to pull 2 listings when you tried to close your account. You probably should get onto that. I strongly doubt those items would sell on Gumtree, but good luck anyway.

As for announcing your big exit, ebay don't care. You are less than a blip to them, so announcing your departure will mean less than zero to them. Even if you do close your account (which I doubt, because most people who threaten that are still selling a year later) ebay would never notice, and care even less.

I wish you luck for your future endeavours. 

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply