Selling fees are a joke & nothing short of thievery.

dmk212
Community Member

Sold $330 worth of items……received $285 by the time eBay took out their fees. Guess this billion dollar company is struggling though & needs to stick its filthy hands in the pockets of all us super rich sellers who can afford to take that kind of hit every time we sell something.

I was sure this was an error & contacted customer service (anyone who’s done that knows how infuriating that is) but nope, every time you sell something, except to relieve considerably less into your bank account.

Needless to say, I’ve pulled the rest of my listings & am closing my account. I’ll stick with gumtree.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Did you check all the selling fees you would be liable for before you listed?

Fees have been around 14% for a very long time, which is the percentage you paid on the sale, so I'm not sure why you're surprised?

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Try advertising in a newspaper and I'll guarantee you'll pay even higher fees.

It's true you can advertise for fre on GT and marketplace but the potential market of buyers often isn't as big (mainly pick up) and they will try to beat you down in price.

But it is worth a try, for sure. Be aware there can be fees there too though if you want your ad to stay at the top.

No need to close your account here though. Ebay is still good for buying some things. Always worth having a few different sites to check out if you're after something. You pay no fees if you're a buyer!

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Having only just sold things, you will not be able to close your account right away

No secret how much the fees are so I am unsure why you thought there was an error when the fees advised were the fees charged 

Are you also aware of the hold on funds for 'new' sellers?

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

The first thing you should do with any shop, selling platform, or anything else is check out the fee's.   Ebay don't hide them,   so maybe the joke is on you for not checking before listing your item.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

* Doesn’t hide them.

if you’re going to try be a smart ass, try not having the grammar skills of a 5 year old.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

All the info you would have needed , is all readily available, it has never been hidden.   How much were you expecting to pay?

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

It depends on if you're referring to eBay as a single entity or not.

I would use 'don't' rather than 'doesn't' and my grammar is fine, thanks.

If you want information, it pays to not arc up when you're given facts. Facts, by the way, that you could readily have found for yourself. And should have, prior to selling, rather than complain after the event.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

@dmk212 wrote:

Sold $330 worth of items……received $285 by the time eBay took out their fees. Guess this billion dollar company is struggling though & needs to stick its filthy hands in the pockets of all us super rich sellers who can afford to take that kind of hit every time we sell something.

I was sure this was an error & contacted customer service (anyone who’s done that knows how infuriating that is) but nope, every time you sell something, except to relieve considerably less into your bank account.

Needless to say, I’ve pulled the rest of my listings & am closing my account. I’ll stick with gumtree.

LOL - at pulling someone up on - singular or plural.

Nope - doesn't cut it. 🤣

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

Before I list anything I just do a quick calculation, gross sale price including postage minus 13.5% in fees and minus postage. Then there will be no surprises. GT is ok but you get a lot of time wasters (you know, the ones who message you at 1 am in the morning) who have no intention to buy. Or if they do want to buy, they want to knock down the price and meet face to face in a pandemic, no thanks.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply