Separate invoice for postage?

A buyer requested a combined invoice for a pickup only item after they won. I explained that I would have to visit the post office to get a price for the postage to do that. Shortly after, before i could get to the post office, that they paid (Paypal) for the item. Am I able to send a separate invoice for postage? How? Or is there some other process?

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

saarzi
Community Member

If Im understanding your post correctly, they bought a pick up only item, and want it posted?

You can send a seperate invoice for postage through Paypal. On the lefthand side menu of your Paypal 'Summary' screen, it will say "Manage Invoices". Go in there and you can create a new invoice and email it to them.

Make sure they understand they must pay this invoice before it is posted, or, they need to pick up the item....  and make sure you send it REGISTERED post (or with tracking), and upload the tracking number to the item, so they cant say they didnt receive it.

It IS sold now - they paid for it. So even if they think the postage is too expensive, they still need to pick it up.  If they refuse to do either, open up a case against them so you get your fees etc back, and dont get a defect from Ebay.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

thanks for that. Yes they want it mailed (from NSW to Victoria)  & I won't be doing that until they pay.

Unfortunately I've had a real run of people who don't read (& they're in a different state) or decide it's too hard to pickup (after cancelling numerous pickyps) and want a cancellation. 

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

you can just google postage calculator and then you can see the cost.  saves you going to the post office for a price.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

If you go down that route you will have to hope they are honest. If the postage is not included in the item pay,ment invoice then the items will still be treated as pick up items. Although neither of you have protection for a pick up item if the buyer has funded with a credit card they can do a chargeback and they will win.  If you want to be covered you will have toexplain to them that the postage must be paid at the same time and if they want the items posted you will have to refund their payment and reinvoice them with the delivery cost added.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for that advice. I have messaged the buyer to say I will cancel, refund & relist at that price as a BIN with postage to protect both of us. 

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@tetibird wrote:

Thanks for that advice. I have messaged the buyer to say I will cancel, refund & relist at that price as a BIN with postage to protect both of us. 

If the buyer is happy to do that, I would suggest that when you relist it, put a ridiculous price on it, like $1,000 but put a best offer on it. That way the buyer can then make an "offer" of the price they paid and no-one else will decide they want to buy it before they do. Others have relisted an item as a buy it now for similar reasons, only for someone else to jump in and beat the original buyer to the post. That's when it all gets a bit messy!

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I hadn't thought about that before, great idea. Thanks!

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Just make sure you tell your buyer that's what you're doing, or they may think you are trying to pull a swifty on them. I did it a few months ago for a buyer and it worked well. She had bought quite a few things and asked me if I had these other things she wanted. I said that I did, so listed them as a bulk order and put a buy it now of $10,000 on it, with best offer. She said it felt really good getting her items for $80, down from $10,000!

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I agree with the posters above.  It is too hazardous to go ahead with invoicing the post seperately and then hope for the best.  You can cancel the transaction in ebay (selecting there is a problem with the buyer's address) which will allow you to refund the buyer within the process and the transaction will close automatically without you having to wait for the buyer to accept the cancellation etc.  You will get you FVF back straightaway and you will not get a defect.

Let the buyer know what is going on and relist with the correct postage amount.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply