Should We Refund This Buyer? Advice Please. :-)

Buyer purchased a vintage brooch. It was in good condition and carefully packed, so no damage in post. 14 days later they emailed and said that the latch was broken. As usual, they tested the waters for a full refund, plus brooch. We said, no. But that we would refund as per our policy, [we refund on item within 7 days with buyer paying return postage, if they had changed their mind. So long as the item was returned in the same condition as we sent it etc ... ] Another week or so passes and they say they will now return it Reg. Post for a full refund, including all the postage costs either way, because the brooch was broken when they receIved it ...

What has happened here, is that the buyer has purchased the brooch, wore it during the 2 week period, broken it and now wants her money back, including all postage costs. Does Ebay and Paypal cover sellers for this kind of thing? Should we refund this buyer?

The mind boggles at how Ebay could be used in this way .. Perhaps, a special night out, a one off occasion, a cruise or a wedding and then simply return all the clothes, jewelry etc after the event for a full refund, including post. So they basically HIRE for FREE. 🙂

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Do you have any photos of the back of the brooch where you can prove it was complete when you sent it? I can't believe the hide of some people. There seems to be quite a few sellers of clothing and whatnot getting caught with buyers wanting a refund later, most likely because they have worn it for an event and now no longer need it.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

When the new policies take effect we will see this more and more of this kind of carp. If they buyer opens a PayPal dispute they will have to send the item back at their expense. Make sure you write that the item was in good order when you sent it.
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

This is EXACTLY what is going to happen with the new system that will begin soon. Nothing more than Hiring it out for a while and then send it back for a refund. What a perfect idea if your the buyer.  A nightmare for the seller.  

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I think you know that your best option is to refund for return even though you also know that the so called buyer borrowed your broach for an event & probably broke the clasp.You also get that feeling that eBay wil not support you in a case of not as described & will rule against you in a SNAD etc.At least they have agreed to pay post costs to send it back,which will not be the case soon.

You probably won't get a neg unless you argue with them,so just add them to your special list.Also I'd probably wait 3 days til the feedback shoes if they have marked you down in DSR before leaving them fb if you haven't already.

I think you already did your best diplomatic  customer service by not agreeing to let them keep the item + have the refund.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Tell them that on return of the item it will be inspected and if it is found the damage was not there when posted you will return the item once they repay postage to have it returned and if the damage is old then you will refund.

If they open a dispute via paypal make sure you reply with all the info here ie the time frame of having it before advising of the damage etc and if paypal find in the buyers favour once you get it back if you are certain the damage has happened while in their possession call paypal and tell them it was not returned in the condition it was sent but they have broken in while in the weeks of their possession.

Fight it like hell so they do not get the refund from your money but from paypals money.

If this is going to be a sign of what is to come then ALL sellers need to fight like hell and not make it easy and more so for the serial scammers.

Surly paypal and or ebay should take action when a member seems to have more than a normal amount of problem purchases.

Maybe once ebay deal with them it should become more obvious to scam buyers.

I know I know tell her she is dreamin!!!!!!

Only in the perfect online auction site would this ever happen 😞

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Sent out brand spanking new Liz Jordan Jacket with tags, in mint condition, only to have buyer email me 12 days after posting that it was dirty and had oil stains and pin pricks on it.  I then asked her was the parcel damaged in any way?  Buyer says no and then proceeds to threaten and bully me into giving her her money back $5.50!  She has to have it drycleaned but did not offer to return.  Buyer is also a seller and from her feedback I can work out she does this often.  I am amazed and my feeback is now 94.% because Ive only sold a few things.  All my other feedback was perfect. What will happen now with the new refund policy changes? It  will be chaos if people demand refunds on everything, wont be worth selling on ebay?  Ebay needs to realise that sellers make ebay not just the buyers.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@repeat_performance_vintage_style wrote:

Sent out brand spanking new Liz Jordan Jacket with tags, in mint condition, only to have buyer email me 12 days after posting that it was dirty and had oil stains and pin pricks on it.  I then asked her was the parcel damaged in any way?  Buyer says no and then proceeds to threaten and bully me into giving her her money back $5.50!  She has to have it drycleaned but did not offer to return.  Buyer is also a seller and from her feedback I can work out she does this often.  I am amazed and my feeback is now 94.% because Ive only sold a few things.  All my other feedback was perfect. What will happen now with the new refund policy changes? It  will be chaos if people demand refunds on everything, wont be worth selling on ebay?  Ebay needs to realise that sellers make ebay not just the buyers.

If it's that dusty pink jacket, I'd be asking for photos because you have a good photo of the front and the back. Where is the so called oil stain? I'd be fighting that negative because from the photos, it looks spotless. My guess she is another buy it, wear it, get a refund for it as the function has been and gone and is no longer required.

Just a suggestion, when you reply to feedback like that, put the buyers username in the reply because saying to check her feedback left for other is pointless as no-one buy you can see who she is.

Given that she's already given you a neg, I certainly wouldn't be giving a refund without return of the item. Hang onto the photos in case she opens a case to get a refund, then you have proof to fight it.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Do you have any photos of the back of the brooch where you can prove it was complete when you sent it? I can't believe the hide of some people. There seems to be quite a few sellers of clothing and whatnot getting caught with buyers wanting a refund later, most likely because they have worn it for an event and now no longer need it.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

While you mention that about clothing returns,i read a thread about that on U.S fleabay.A clothes seller said since the policy change that she has been using Tyvek bands on every item & also in the photos for listings.

Her refund policy states that if returned,must be in original condition with the security tag still attached.

The Tyvek bands,for anyone who doesn't know,all have individual codes & are used at events/concerts & can't be reattached if removed.They cost about $10 for 100 at some stores here,so nice & cheap too.

it probably won't stop the most determined for free stuff but worth a thought.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

OMG that's a brilliant idea!

Probably won't stand up to a proper INAD dispute or a determined scammer, but would create another hurdle that might prevent some scammers.  

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply