Should We Refund This Buyer? Advice Please. :-)

Buyer purchased a vintage brooch. It was in good condition and carefully packed, so no damage in post. 14 days later they emailed and said that the latch was broken. As usual, they tested the waters for a full refund, plus brooch. We said, no. But that we would refund as per our policy, [we refund on item within 7 days with buyer paying return postage, if they had changed their mind. So long as the item was returned in the same condition as we sent it etc ... ] Another week or so passes and they say they will now return it Reg. Post for a full refund, including all the postage costs either way, because the brooch was broken when they receIved it ...

What has happened here, is that the buyer has purchased the brooch, wore it during the 2 week period, broken it and now wants her money back, including all postage costs. Does Ebay and Paypal cover sellers for this kind of thing? Should we refund this buyer?

The mind boggles at how Ebay could be used in this way .. Perhaps, a special night out, a one off occasion, a cruise or a wedding and then simply return all the clothes, jewelry etc after the event for a full refund, including post. So they basically HIRE for FREE. 🙂

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Should We Refund This Buyer? Advice Please. :-)

I think that's a brilliant idea for the clothing sellers. They are the ones who will suffer the worst with these new changes in my opinion. It won't take buyers long to realise they can buy a dress, wear it out for their event, then get a refund due to something being wrong with it.

I would also suggest to the clothing sellers, take a million photos of each garment, covering every square inch of it, so a buyer can't turn around and say it was stained or had a hole in it or whatever. I'd even be photographing hems because someone's just as likely to claim INAD for a loose thread in a hem!

Message 11 of 11
Latest reply