Slow sales ??? Things not moving ??? Just put the price up!

Ok this is just strange. Had an item that used to sell well but now just the odd one or two sales per week. Got to the last 4  and ordered more stock. In an effort to avoid running out of stock before the new stock gets here I put the price up - normally $14 so I put it up to $24. Problem solved.

Get up this morning and all 4 have sold at the inflated price overnight !

Going to try this on some other items  🙂 

Should also mention it was not this account !

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Slow sales ??? Things not moving ??? Just put the price up!

I have heard similar before.

Perhaps a cheap price means buyers are suspicious whether it's genuine or not.

Good result. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Despite ebay constantly telling us to lower our prices, I've started to suspect for a while that perhaps that promote the higher priced listings more because they're the ones that make ebay the most in fees.

I know I've reduced my prices in desperation in the past, then when nothing happened I put them back up again and it started the sales rolling in.

I think most of the discerning buyers (that shop around) have gone elsewhere and a lot of those remaining on ebay don't care about price but just buy if they want it.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Our store sells makes around 20 sales a day.  We had always priced our products at the lower end of what we could expect a buyer to pay.

However with the lower A$ we decided to increase our prices by 15%-20% and guess what, ther was no decrease in sales.

This leans me to believe that generally buyers are not as price sensitive as we believe them to be.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Another possibility is that the simple act of editing the listing pushed it up in visibility. I used this technique a few weeks ago when I was having account glitches. I revised a large number of listings, changing the price by a few cents or tweaking titles. It definately gave my listings a boost for 24 hours,.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I've edited a LOT recently, done Sell Similar and changed titles, but my sales are deader than they've EVER been. I was away for over a fortnight in September and it always takes a while to get started again but not like this.
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I do this regularly now, usually always results in some sales.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

A while ago I was reading an article about people and their buying habits (it was not ebay related) and it showed that people tended to be swayed by emotive words in an ad-ones that hinted at quality etc but that when they actually bought something, they would often choose from the middle of the range. With their test subjects, they found the people rarely chose the cheapest (even when the items actually were identical) because  people associated cheap with nasty, not as good quality. They often didn't choose the most expensive either, but went for something in the top half.

I don't know how true all that is, but have to admit, I've caught myself sometimes looking at something online and thinking...it's fairly cheap, maybe this other dearer one is better.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if what some of the others say is correct- if ebay thinks it is a new listing plus it is a dearer product, it pays for them to make it more visible, it might be a more desirable ad from their viewpoint-more commission etc

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Another really important point is that Cassini is programed so that once a multiple item listing sells one thing, the listing recieves a huge bump in visibility, often to the top in searches. Thats why sales of specific items often come in bunches or groups. The more you sell, the higher your visibility, the less you sell, the less visible your items become compounding the problem and the less you sell.

If the first sale is a result of a listing revision, this may well amplify the lift in visibility when accompanied by a second and then third sale..

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I too - have just rechecked and adjusted prices - as a result of Post and Courier increases.

In doing that I found that some of my prices compared to costs, were already too low, and when adjusted up - sales have still been good. Amazing - price increases do not always mean slower sales.

Keyword targetting and revision makes a HUGE difference too

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply