Slow sales - the Force is WITH US = Sellers

Hi all

Had troubles with slow sales - right now, or recently? I have too!

Remember - we ARE eBay's lifeblood. Without Sellers, there can be nothing to sell - therefore nothing for buyers, and no cash for eBay and its staff etc. If our sales drop due to "glitchy" systems or poor listing displays - then let's unite and TELL them we want better!

We do NOT have to accept poor performance - we PAY eBay handsomely (my own estimate $60K over 14 years), to present our items to the marketplace as effectively as possible. It's in BOTH their and our interests for that to happen?

Your thoughts - and suggestions?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Slow sales - the Force is WITH US = Sellers

I'm afraid that you're wrong because without buyers then there's no ebay that's according to ebay.

Ebay don't give a stuff about sellers I personally can vouch for that lol.

Who gets booted off ebay if they don't make a buyers buying experience all nice and rosy? Sellers that's who.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

It’s a two edged sword and one is just as important and integral to success as the other.

At the moment it’s the pendulum’s fault innit? Somehow it’s weighted so unfairly and unwisely against sellers and it got there all on its little lonesome - didenit?

Melina.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I totally understand where you are coming from but have you looked around the B & M stores lately?.  It is not much more than 9 weeks to Xmas and I bet there are many who wonder if they are going to make it.

Without becoming political in any way, have you noticed the economic climate in Aust at the present time.  People are having a hard enough time just putting food on the table, paying for fuel and general living expenses.  Unfortunately some things they "Want" maybe not desperately need have to go by the wayside. 

Most people these days have to stop and think before any purchases.  Hopefully it will get back to the "Good Old Days" before too long.  Good luck with your sales.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

I'm afraid that you're wrong because without buyers then there's no ebay that's according to ebay.

Ebay don't give a stuff about sellers I personally can vouch for that lol.

Who gets booted off ebay if they don't make a buyers buying experience all nice and rosy? Sellers that's who.

Perhaps because of the slow global economy, ebay has proportionally more people wanting to sell stuff than they have buyers. This information is contained in ebays reports to the U.S stock exchange, so based on ebay statistics, not my personal opinion.

I believe that this is why ebay have weighted things so much in buyers favour. When you stop and think about it, it does make sense.

As for sales, after major account problems mentioned in other posts on other threads, my sales are coming back very strongly. A huge day yesterday and nice, steady sales today. If it keeps up like this for the next few months I'll be quite happy.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I once read a post on the forums, quite a few years ago, by a poster (whose username I unfortunately don't remember), and who themselves were relating something they were told by another ebay seller that had always stuck with them (which I mention because I obviously can't take credit for it):

eBay doesn't need you, and you don't need eBay. 

It's always stuck with me as well, because the first part - even if we would like to think otherwise - is true, and because of that, the second part is something I simply strive to make true every single day.

Sure, arguments can be made for eBay needing sellers, but the average pleb seller (of which I consider myself one), is very likely part of the 80 (ref: Pareto principle, or the law of the vital few, which in this context posits that 80% of a business' profits will typically come from 20% of its customers, and that 80% of a business' customers contribute about 20% to said profits). If true, this would suggest that about 20% of ebay's sellers are "top tier" and where eBay derive the bulk of their income, and considering the sheer favouritism shown to big box retailers and the like, I'm inclined to think this may be not far off the money, so to speak. It also means that 80% of their sellers are "lower tier", yet overall probably cost the most to retain / sustain when all the math is done, and why eBay are unlikely to blink an eye when a few of us leave in protest, disgust, from lack of sales, or any of the other myriad reasons why a seller will throw in the towel. 

The problem with that, if indeed that is how eBay are currently approaching things, and which I have theorised about before but see no evidence of eBay considering, is that profit generators are not always profit sustainers for a site like this. Their most profitable sellers absolutely don't need eBay to survive, yet eBay seem to be tailoring their site in such a way where they kinda need those sellers. I have always felt ebay works best as a microcosm, because the little fish are contributing something just as important as the big fish - big box retailers have the name brands, the buying power, established reputations and so on, while the little guys have unique, niche items, collectibles or just stuff that is hard or laborious to find through many other means. Both are significant drawing cards when they co-exist in a balanced environment, meaning both can draw people to eBay, for different reasons... Only, with the big fish, of course, you tend to be able to find them quite easily in a variety of other places - not so for the the little fish; if they get swallowed up, or find a new pond, the appeal and advantage of shopping on ebay over purchasing direct from a retailer, diminishes. A lovely, clean pond with a variety of fish is much more interesting and enjoyable than one with just a few big ol' common ones floating about. But I'm flopping about digress. 

I have no idea what eBay's long-term goal (or plan) is, but what I do know is that I want to be absoluteluy fine if / when it doesn't include me - I have no power over eBay, and eBay has no power over me. 😉  

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I like that Digi 🙂

Melina.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I once read a post on the forums, quite a few years ago, by a poster (whose username I unfortunately don't remember), and who themselves were relating something they were told by another ebay seller that had always stuck with them (which I mention because I obviously can't take credit for it):

eBay doesn't need you, and you don't need eBay. 

It's always stuck with me as well, because the first part - even if we would like to think otherwise - is true, and because of that, the second part is something I simply strive to make true every single day.

Sure, arguments can be made for eBay needing sellers, but the average pleb seller (of which I consider myself one), is very likely part of the 80 (ref: Pareto principle, or the law of the vital few, which in this context posits that 80% of a business' profits will typically come from 20% of its customers, and that 80% of a business' customers contribute about 20% to said profits). If true, this would suggest that about 20% of ebay's sellers are "top tier" and where eBay derive the bulk of their income, and considering the sheer favouritism shown to big box retailers and the like, I'm inclined to think this may be not far off the money, so to speak. It also means that 80% of their sellers are "lower tier", yet overall probably cost the most to retain / sustain when all the math is done, and why eBay are unlikely to blink an eye when a few of us leave in protest, disgust, from lack of sales, or any of the other myriad reasons why a seller will throw in the towel. 

The problem with that, if indeed that is how eBay are currently approaching things, and which I have theorised about before but see no evidence of eBay considering, is that profit generators are not always profit sustainers for a site like this. Their most profitable sellers absolutely don't need eBay to survive, yet eBay seem to be tailoring their site in such a way where they kinda need those sellers. I have always felt ebay works best as a microcosm, because the little fish are contributing something just as important as the big fish - big box retailers have the name brands, the buying power, established reputations and so on, while the little guys have unique, niche items, collectibles or just stuff that is hard or laborious to find through many other means. Both are significant drawing cards when they co-exist in a balanced environment, meaning both can draw people to eBay, for different reasons... Only, with the big fish, of course, you tend to be able to find them quite easily in a variety of other places - not so for the the little fish; if they get swallowed up, or find a new pond, the appeal and advantage of shopping on ebay over purchasing direct from a retailer, diminishes. A lovely, clean pond with a variety of fish is much more interesting and enjoyable than one with just a few big ol' common ones floating about. But I'm flopping about digress. 

I have no idea what eBay's long-term goal (or plan) is, but what I do know is that I want to be absoluteluy fine if / when it doesn't include me - I have no power over eBay, and eBay has no power over me. 😉  

Theres probably one more very important point to add to your excellent post digi.

A lot of the small ebay sellers are also regular buyers. The money they earn from selling a few things from around the home or from the micro-businesses they run, they spend back on ebay.

While they are checking on how their own sales are going while stting on the lounge in the evening, they also browse other sellers sites. It keeps them coming back to the platform on regular basis.

If you lose the small sellers, you lose an important demographic of buyers.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Good point on your last line,and that's true.

And yes ebay lost booted me as a seller and these days I am still bloody buying off ebay lol.

Just adding to my collection which no doubt will end up with one of the kids lol.

Hey as a buyer I have more power than I ever did as a seller so I give ebay kudos for that.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Theres probably one more very important point to add to your excellent post digi.

A lot of the small ebay sellers are also regular buyers. The money they earn from selling a few things from around the home or from the micro-businesses they run, they spend back on ebay.

While they are checking on how their own sales are going while stting on the lounge in the evening, they also browse other sellers sites. It keeps them coming back to the platform on regular basis.

If you lose the small sellers, you lose an important demographic of buyers.

Yes, but those small sellers probably don't only buy a fraction of what other buyers do, so they're still part of the expendable 20% of sellers/buyers who create 80% of the work/expense for ebay.

I do agree that the more variety of items available, the more it's going to appeal to people.  If it's just a showcase for big box retailers, or online sellers selling the same items as the big box retailers, the only advantage over shopping at b&m stores is that you can shop from home.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply