Suspect account hack, price changed.

mcbaj
Community Member

Hey there. 

I suspect my account was hacked, or eBay is playing some funny games. 

I come back in after our long weekend to find that my top selling product is all but out of stock, I check it out, and the price had been changed on it from $57 to $9.50!!!! 

I am the only person able to access this account, and i have touched anything, except for anwer a couple of message via my phone.

Do I have any right here to refuse the sales on these items? If I have to, I have to, but being such a small business this is going to hurt the weekends takings drastically.

I've shut my store down too temporaliy just so I can check on every item. Seems weired that its only one itme i have found so far, and it was our fastest mover.

Cheers.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I have no idea what happened but that is a drastic change.

You could ring ebay to check what is going on.

If i were in your shoes and had sold a lot at that far too low price, I would send a message to every buyer & explain that something had gone wrong with your account and you needed to cancel all weekend sales. I would send a cancellation notice.

Some people may accept it, if I were a buyer I think I would have some sympathy for a seller in that situation.

Some buyers will probably kick up though and your ebay account might also take a battering with defects or whatever, but really, you can't afford to lose all that money & you don't have to carry through with the sale if the price was a mistake. So don't. 

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

I would certainly get on the phone to ebay and discuss your concerns.

They should have a record of IP addresses where the logins occurred.

This should show your phone at least as you said you answered messages from it.

If those IP addresses are in any way associated with any of the sales that have occurred then there is something fishy going on.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Yeah thanks I'll get onto eBay and see what they can do. Not holding my breath though. I feel it will just fall on deaf ears, like everthing with them. But I'll try.

I'm just trying to find if its actually law that I have to follow through with the sales or not, before I do anything.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I doubt anyone will take you to court over a $57 item, even if it is law, that is the good news.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

If they can show you that your account was logged into from some IP address that has nothing to do with you or where you have been then I would think you do not have to follow thru with the sales.

Ask ebay about that while on the phone to them.

If you don't follow thru you are likely to have some unhappy customers on your hands as mentioned above.

So given that you could be up for some NEGs or defects at least.

Try explaining to the buyers what has happened and guage if they are understanding or not.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Yeah I know. But you know how some people get irrate. Even when they know good and well that it was a mistake and they are just taking advantage of it.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

This story is a major worry on several fronts. First, it is not that easy to hack into ebays system, even though a group of proffesionals did achieve it around 12 months ago. If someone really has hacked your account, you would need to be careful about your other personal accounts such as bank accounts etc. It may be your computer ( or wi fi ) they have gained access too, rather than ebays system and could be mon itering keystrokes for passwords. 

Second, I realise the defect system was changed recently, but if you go ahead and cancel the sales, choosing item out of stock etc as the reason for cancellation, I think you will still end up with defects. That number of defects in such a short time could see your selling "privleges" downgraded or even stopped. 

Perhaps others with more knowledge of the recent defect changes could add to this OR have a look at the defect policy yourself before cancelling.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I would think it would be more likely to be an eBay system issue. I doubt anyone would bother hacking your ebay account to reduce the price on a single item. Whilst it is frustrating for you there is no real benefit to a potential hacker.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

When I was on holidays about a month ago... I logged into my ebay account from a different IP address (my sister) and I tried to do some maintenance on my listings so I wouldn't have to do it when I got home... the system would not allow me to. Which at the time I was annoyed but in hindsight I think it is a good thing....

Definately have an investigation done by ebay.... as previously advised they can track the history of your account etc... and once verified that it was not you but from a rogue they hopefully will look after you.

Also CHANGE ALL PASSWORDS NOW!!!!

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply