The big postage question

I would like to get opinions from buyers on what they like to see when purchasing an item and from sellers, to see what they have found works for them. 

As a part time seller on eBay, I always ask myself, should I do postage this way or that way. I have watched many videos and gone to many sites but I am still not satisficed. 

I started selling items all with free postage but found, I always lost money especially if I accepted an offer.

I then went on to doing half postage which seemed to work pretty good for the most part. 

Now, I just started doing full postage but am un decided if I should price my items as normal or reduce the price as a buyer might not want to pay for a full priced item and postage.

Lets say an item you are selling is for $20.
Do you like to see "Free postage" meaning the seller would sell the item for $30 with the postage built in?
Do you prefer seeing the postage separated from the item you are buying?
Say, half price postage, so $4.85 postage and $4.85 built into the price making the listing $25 with $4.85 postage
Maybe full postage selling the item at $20 with $9.70 postage?
Or would selling a $20 item for $30 be to much? So listing the item at $10 with $9.70 postage maybe?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: The big postage question

I always add & combine postage.....that way customers are tempted to buy more. I have 3 customers on the go at the moment who are all bulk buying.....works for me

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

As a buyer I look at a couple of things with the seller/item. Firstly the total item price with postage (free or not) compared to other seller's prices and secondly their feedback, I hesitate to deal with high-volume sellers with under 99.5%.

I like it that you take the time to leave follow-up feedback for your buyers, most sellers won't do that or if they do it's a retaliatory feedback for a neg - not a good look.

I will also avoid sellers using Sendle because that company just doesn't work well for me at all.........ever.......

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

As a buyer, I am actually wary of free shipping, as I think the seller may skimp on special care when packing in order to recoup some of the postage expense.

As a seller, I realize many buyers prefer free shipping, but I am not prepared to pad the price of my item just to capiluate to the "free" crowd. 

The reality is, there is no such thing as free shipping in Australia, because one way or another the buyer pays for it. 

When postage is charged separately, the buyer sees the true cost of the item.

The postage cost is just  the convenience of having the item delivered to their door.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

There is no simple answer as it depends on the item you are selling. Some items will struggle to get top search results without free postage when in a saturated market. Other items that may only have a few available will not matter.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I look at total price.

If I’m placing a large order, it’s nice to see the postage component included (stated as FREE SHIPPING), but it’s not the decider. I’m well aware that the postage has to be paid in some way; the seller can’t absorb postage if the item cost doesn’t make it worthwhile.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

As a buyer my first consideration is finding the item I want. Then if I'm buying one item from a seller I'm OK whether the total price is with included (so called free) or separate postage, if the end result is a reasonable amount. However, if I want to buy several items from a seller I would not be paying the extra postage added into each if they were listed as "Free Postage".   I prefer to shop with sellers who treat their buyers as I treat mine, and offer combined postage.

If free local pick up is welcomed and possible that would be a good reason to have item price and postage price listed separately. 

Off ebay I shop with several places that offer free postage when the total purchase is over a certain amount. I have yet to find that as an option on ebay but I could be buying the wrong things.

On another account I have some repeat customers who don't bother to ask for combined postage as they know I will include an extra item to the value of the extra paid (less ebay fee) - easy to do when selling  handmade products. For other non-handmade sales, eg 2 books to the same customer and they've paid too much postage I refund the extra less ebay fees without being asked.

( if a seller had robbed a post office and acquired a stack of pre paid satchels and or postage stamps, it would be free postage from their point of view. )

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

If I intend to buy multiple items from a seller, I prefer postage to be separate, so the seller can combine postage.

Otherwise (if I only want to buy an item) it doesn't really matter if the total is the same. 

One thing I would like to see is an indication of the postal service a seller is using. Most sellers do indicate it, but not all, and personally I prefer to avoid Aramex, so when the listing indicates "standard parcel delivery" under postage I always have to ask.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

As a buyer I always look at price + postage, I don't usually mind too much if postage is built in to the price or charged seperately. I won't buy from a seller that states they use sendle. Just make sure if you say you use Ozpost ( or a specific courier) and buyer then recieves tracking from a different courier many will not be happy and the deal-breaker courier service will vary from region to region depending on the franchisee in each area.

Basically whatever you do some people will not be happy and others will. Do what is easiest for you and let the people who like what you do find you. 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Basically - there is no such thing as ' FREE POSTAGE '.

I will never use it - have never used it - simply because postage when FREE - is included - as of course are fees etc.

A buyer buys 3 items - combined - with FREE postage - literally means they are paying 3x postage.

Separate item & postage - combine purchases - the buyer is way better off.

No brainer for an honest seller.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply