They're getting good .... the Paypal spoof emails.

Just received possibly the best 'spoof' PayPal email I've ever got.  It looked exactly like the real thing .... an exact duplicate of the message sent to us for 'payment sent receipt'.  So be careful.  

Generally if you right click the address of the sender and click properties, you can see the email address of the sender.   

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: They're getting good .... the Paypal spoof emails.

go-tazz
Community Member

Paypal has made it easier for them by including a link in the Email,(so scammers have a better chance of being

successful with a phishing attempt).

They used to always tell members to log in via their own browser but then started put the link in,(they take no notice

and don't even reply if you point out the danger of doing so).

They obviously don't care how much money they have to refund if a member gets ripped off because of their slack

attitude.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Taz how do the scammers get all the email addys ?

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I got a receipt for payment this morn, supposedly from Paypal - but I knew I hadn't bought anything (especially for a baby).  It was NOT addressed personally & was addressed to my old adress at Paypal.  

It's definitely a phishing attempt & I don't click links in these sort of emails, but they are getting too good at copying.

It was using the item ID (not a link) which led to an eBay member bxxxxxa (with well over 5000 feedback). The email has an email address in it for that member & it's a different spelling of her store name in NSW.    Just in case she reads the forums, I wonder if I can say her name in the email is Bel.... S........, hope that doesn't identify her?

The email has been sent to spoof@paypal.com.au - should I send a copy to eBay as well as it does concern a real eBay member, as maybe she's been hi-jacked or hacked?

Maybe eBay's accounts have been hacked, as this email was sent to my brand new ID.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I got same email and, thankfully, Bullguard secuiry recognised the link as a concern. Only, then did I go and check eBay to see that I actually had not been on a crazy shopping spree (that does happen).

What was even more clever was that they had the follow up email as well. An identical process to the real deal.

I wonder if the lady in the buyer details is a real person and/or knows?

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I don't buy enough to ever be caught out that way.

And, as per Paypal's advice, and commonsense, I never click on payment email links.

Guess the phishers will find easier phish. And there was a study a few years ago that found scamees were self-selecting, but I won't go there.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Any member that has sold something in a transaction with another will get their Email address,(hence why some

scammers don't have items for sale as they are only after that Email address).

When the Chinese scammers where rife there was over 150 of them in one week with over a 1000 listings between

them.

Others had choice listings and some of them sold over 100 of each of those.

All up there would have being 1000's of members affected,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Once they have that Email address the phishing attempts can began to try and get their eBay and Paypal

passwords,(most times they leave it a few weeks or try and coincide it with possible Paypal Emails.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@peridot55555 wrote:

It was using the item ID (not a link) which led to an eBay member bxxxxxa (with well over 5000 feedback). The email has an email address in it for that member & it's a different spelling of her store name in NSW.    Just in case she reads the forums, I wonder if I can say her name in the email is Bel.... S........, hope that doesn't identify her?

Maybe eBay's accounts have been hacked, as this email was sent to my brand new ID.

Send it via Customer Support,(top right of any eBay page).

They can then check and inform the member.

Have you been in a transaction with a member from China?,(it's where most of these scams seem to come from now),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Under that ID I have only sold 1 item & purchased 3 - all with Aussie addresses & the purchases all posted within Australia.

Maybe eBay is selling our email addresses, as I'm getting a massive amount of eBay promotional emails under the same ID.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I get one nearly every day, I just forward the entire email to paypal.

spoof@paypal.com.au  (For Australia)

I know they are spoofs, BUT sometimes I am not sure because they are getting good,  so I log into my account, and I never use any of the links on the email, and then I check.  

But something is being done, when I logged into paypal this evening, they are asking for a mobile number to send a code and then you can verify your number by entering the code they send you.  Only thing is, after two attemps I never got a message and there is a 15 minute time out.   Obviously millions of people have probably wanted to verify and they can't keep up, so I will verify another time when it's not so busy.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply