They've been fiddling again...

Looks like they're really going to push promoted listings, which likely means if we don't use it we'll get buried and never seen.  In seller hub when you view your active listings page it shows all the items that are eligible for promotion and it has an extra tab at the top to make it easier to promote items, ie. to pay them twice as much in fees.

Something else I've noticed for just over a week now is then when I relist anything that already had auto relist on it, it doesn't show "remove auto relist" on the dropdown menu, yet when I go into the listing to edit it the box is already ticked.  Some of my listings show it on the dropdown menu but others don't, yet it's ticked on all of them.  This is not the same problem where you can tick the box and it doesn't 'stick' - in that case when you go to edit the box isn't already ticked like in this case.  It makes me wonder whether they're likely to withdraw being able to AR.  Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: They've been fiddling again...

Promoted listing dont make any difference at the moment. I have been playing with that feature for the last few weeks and the items showed no increase in looks or sales. Maybe they have not turned it on yet. 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I doubt I'll ever use it because they'd show my items to the wrong people. I've seen lots of sponsored ads and while they may be in the same overall category, they're never even remotely relevant to my search. By that I mean that a category can cover a lot of sub-categories that are pretty diverse, and showing people a different type of product isn't going to help get sales. Having said that, one doesn't pay unless the item sells, but ebay only want you to promote your best selling items, which will sell without using promoted listings anyway.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

Something else I've noticed for just over a week now is then when I relist anything that already had auto relist on it, it doesn't show "remove auto relist" on the dropdown menu, yet when I go into the listing to edit it the box is already ticked.  Some of my listings show it on the dropdown menu but others don't, yet it's ticked on all of them.  This is not the same problem where you can tick the box and it doesn't 'stick' - in that case when you go to edit the box isn't already ticked like in this case.  It makes me wonder whether they're likely to withdraw being able to AR.  Smiley Sad

I've noticed the same thing, with the "Remove Auto Relist" option removed from the dropdown box.

It seems more likely to me that this means auto relisting will be automatic, rather than discontinued (especially given the relatively recent large increase in the number of auto relists allowed per lot); and that you will have to go in and revise to remove it.

But who knows?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I'm getting the option to tick promoted listings at the end of the listing form (where the submit button is). There's also another section underneath that which appeared today that lets me set up quantity discounts on a per-listing basis, rather than going through promotions manager (eg buy 2, get 5% off the total - not sure if it only applies to that item or if the buyer can use it across multiple items, making it so that if they only bought 1 each of two different items with the same promo, whether they'd get the discount).

If the eBay "gods" are listening, you know... I'm a simple girl. Since I have to enter tracking numbers and carriers manually due to other site non-functions, I'd really like to be able to just enter a tracking number once and have it apply to all items in an order like I can on every other site I've ever used, instead of having to copy / paste it up to 40 times and enter the carrier against each item as well. Give me tools to save me this gorram chore, not to mention many others just like it, and the extra efficiency may mean I can actually afford to save some buyers a little money. 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

That Promoted Listings Eligibility line was really annoying but I just noticed there is a tick box at the top of the selling page where you can turn it off  🙂

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@joztamps wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

I've noticed the same thing, with the "Remove Auto Relist" option removed from the dropdown box.

It seems more likely to me that this means auto relisting will be automatic, rather than discontinued (especially given the relatively recent large increase in the number of auto relists allowed per lot); and that you will have to go in and revise to remove it.

But who knows?

Yes, who knows??  On a purely speculative basis I'm inclined to think they're more likely to take it away altogether, perhaps for stores anyway.  The reason I think this is that in Seller Hub there's the option to assign automation rules to active listings, and the choice is to relist just once if the item doesn't sell, or to relist continuously if it sells, or to have no rule.  Since I first saw that I wondered whether eventually they'd do away with free auto relists. 

I don't even know whether "relist once if it doesn't sell" is the same as a free auto relist or whether it comes off the normal monthly freebies, but I'd assume "relist continuously" is the same as GTC.  I'm not going to experiment and see what happens though because who knows what it might mess with!!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I'm sure that wasn't there the other day, but I too am really pleased you can turn it off!
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply