Tracked Postage on Low Value Items - Experiment

For various reasons I've decided eBay will be the guinea pig for trialling tracked postage only, starting from tomorrow (my shop has been closed over a week, so this will be interesting) - I'm posting about it here because a lot of my items are low value ($4-$7), and just thought there might be some sellers with similar business structures who could be interested in the end results (whether it be a success or failure etc), in which case I'd follow up in a few weeks, and again in a few months. 

If there's any specific info or stats someone would be interested in knowing, let me know so I can keep track of it. 

A couple of things to note, in case it puts any subsequent info I post in the right perspective, while I do get a lot of single-item purchases, the core of my business is multi-item purchases from repeat customers; which is something I expect would make the higher postage cost a little easier to take (postage is going from a bit over $3 flat rate to a bit over $6 flat rate). 

I've also set up a discount for orders of $50+, so this may have an effect on some of the changes in buying patterns (if I still get any sales, anyway Smiley LOL ).

Lastly, some of my buyers are quite aware of the other platforms I sell through, and I won't be making any changes on those as yet, so this may result in decreases on eBay, but increases elsewhere (if I detect a significant pattern of that, I'll note it here when I update for anyone interested in that kind of stat). 

If no one is interested, all good, and we can carry on as though you din't see nuthin' here. Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Tracked Postage on Low Value Items - Experiment

Um....

YAY   you certainly sound and (look) happy - and yeah totally lame Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 71
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

Um....

😋I was just being silly, this tends to be the most common reaction when I indulge in that, lol 😆

If new posts don't bump threads anymore, I'll have to create a new thread for each update now, so they'll be a little fewer and further between. I can't guarantee no silliness, though. 😁

Message 12 of 71
Latest reply

Hey Digi

The boards are back to bringing last posted on threads to the top

Message 13 of 71
Latest reply

For anyone wondering how this was going a full week later....

If ebay was still my sole source of income, I would have reached the "I've made a huge mistake 😱 " part of the process and reverted back to my original postage costs. 😂

By which I mean sales are extraordinarily low, and the strangest thing is, it seems to have put a halt to almost all multiple-item orders. 😨 Over the weekend, usually my busiest time, I had less than 10 orders and they were nearly all for one $5~ish item (two people bought 2 items, one over 2 orders the other in a single order). Normally by the end of a weekend I have a lot more orders, ranging from 1 - 20+ items. 

I can only theorise as to why that is - do people think it's over $6 post per item? Are people only buying because they need that particular item ASAP and they'll look elsewhere in the future? I will need to play with some things to see if I can communicate a bit better that it's a flat rate and see if that helps. 

I'm committed to this for the foreseeable future, so I won't be giving in to any knee-jerk panic etc, but I have downgraded to a basic store for now and I will say thank goodness for my other platforms, which are doing quite nicely  😅

Message 14 of 71
Latest reply

Interesting observations, thank you for posting and you are more brave than I to change (just to see what happens)

In my opinion, it is unreasonable for Ebay to expect customers to pay for tracking every time on low cost items between $5 and $10 and also expect this as "free postage". 

Adding tracking increases our costs as sellers so unless everyone adopts this buyers will still be attracted by and search for the lowest cost offering

I have taken a different path and offer a tracking option on all listings and for the lowest cost items only about 10% choose to pay the extra

Message 15 of 71
Latest reply

TBH if I could set up postage here the same way I was able to on my website, I would definitely do that.

Every item is assigned a weight value, and when a specific weight is reached, only tracked options become available but until then it's a flat rate of around $3, (and maximum of $8), if something needs to go as a parcel due to size, I just assign a weight over the threshold for the other options. On eBay the closest I can get to that is $X extra per additional item in conjunction with a cap - I did think about taking that route, as it would make the up-front costs look more appealing and at least increase the number of packages being sent via tracked methods, but I don't want someone to pay $1 more or whatever for shipping an extra item if it's not actually paying for anything, nor do I want to spend 20 minutes every day refunding people excesses 😅

It will be an ongoing experiment, anyway - there is a way to make it work, of that I am sure, it's just a matter of whether I can find it and it suits the way I want to operate 🙂

Message 16 of 71
Latest reply

The option to do this (weight option, and different postage options as a result of total weight - and perhaps volume? - results) is logical.

I am striving mightily to let that sentence speak for itself.

Message 17 of 71
Latest reply

Hmm, rate tables are based on this concept, but work in minimum 500g increments, from memory. I might have a play around with them over the weekend, though. 

eg If it could be set up so that if I make every item weigh 500g, then have postage increases per 3-5kg (i.e. 6-10 items - some of the more valuable items usually get a double or triple weight, so that it takes fewer to reach the threshold for tracked options ), with a maximum parcel rate assigned for say 10kg+ , it could work hmm (I'm not changing anything so soon, but it's worth looking into, maybe it'd suit someone else, as well 🙂 

Message 18 of 71
Latest reply

Have been reading this thread with interest but I've been reluctant to post on this new trainwreck community design ...

Anyway, I think you and I have similar business models, except my items are slightly more expensive, on average. I moved to fully tracked postage at the beginning of the pandemic because it was just too stressful for me wondering if items would turn up, and at that point, sales were through the roof because everyone was in lockdown buying up a storm.

As of now, I've basically got four postage tiers: the 3 trackable letter tiers (which are actual cost + fees + a small handling charge) and a parcel rate charge (I only need one because I do free postage over $100 and it rarely occurs that there's an order that requires a higher parcel rate than the one I have)

Basically, my letter tiers are really good value if they combine, and pretty bad if they do not. I still get the odd person buying one item and paying double for the postage than what they paid for the item, but it's not common. When eBay had that $5 discount voucher a week or so ago, I got a flurry of low value orders, because that $5 made such orders more economical for people.

The vast majority of my competitors are based overseas, though, so I may find it more difficult when overseas shipping opens back up properly again. My domestic competitors are all very small in comparison to me.

Thanks for doing this and for keeping us in the loop!

Message 19 of 71
Latest reply

I'm doing my own experiment also so will keep a look out for your results.  I'm about to go back to un tracked as my sales have gone down since I have been uploading tracking not only that but I have had to put the cost up for each item by $1.00.....I am footing the other $1.00  So out of 200 sales this month that I usually send as a letter in am out of pocket $200 as usually they cost me $1.00 to send.

Hate that my buyers have to pay more now and I lose money too.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't

Message 20 of 71
Latest reply